Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mandrake 10 messed up win2k partition

Mandrake 10 messed up win2k partition

I installed mandrake 10 download edition on my pc (ecx k7vza, duron 800) . i have a win2k partition on it and i wanted to make it dual boot.
    during install i choose auto partition and use free space. installation went fine, mandrake runs and all, and the windows option is there in lilo at bootup, but from the moment i choose to boot windows, i get a dos like "crash" screen with a few question marks here and there and a few red blocks (where 1 character should be) with a message saying 'NTLDR is missing, press ctr-alt-del to reboot, it continues to do this. mandrake works.

now i will have to delete the windows partition and reinstall win2k.
    I am wondering, what made this happen? and can i simply reinstall windows on the same partition and will it work properly in lilo then
    or do i have to delete and reinstall the linux partition too ?

Re:Mandrake 10 messed up win2k partition

did you try and re-install the bootloader for windows?

[quote author=grasshopper link=board=1;threadid=8884;start=0#msg80240 date=1079908193]
    I installed mandrake 10 download edition on my pc (ecx k7vza, duron 800) . i have a win2k partition on it and i wanted to make it dual boot.
    during install i choose auto partition and use free space. installation went fine, mandrake runs and all, and the windows option is there in lilo at bootup, but from the moment i choose to boot windows, i get a dos like "crash" screen with a few question marks here and there and a few red blocks (where 1 character should be) with a message saying 'NTLDR is missing, press ctr-alt-del to reboot, it continues to do this. mandrake works.

now i will have to delete the windows partition and reinstall win2k.
    I am wondering, what made this happen? and can i simply reinstall windows on the same partition and will it work properly in lilo then
    or do i have to delete and reinstall the linux partition too ?
    [/quote]

AHA! i had that problem too!! i tried re-installing lilo in many ways, and getting rid of it, and nothing worked...then i installed windows on a different hd and re-installed mandy and it did the same thing to it...the only way i could fix it was to completely reformat the whole hd and re-install windows...but i can't do that to my other 80gb windows install cuz theres just way too much stuff there to backup(unless if i pucker up and give into buying a dvd burner or something)

but yeah...bad times dude...if anyone has any idea how to fix this, you will make me squirt my pants cuz of the weeks ive spent trying to fix this ;D

Bad imagery... bad imagery...

I have no idea how to reinstall the bootloader for windows
    I guess im going to have to wait for mandrake 10 . If this
    a problem with the mandrake os itself i guess its a but too difficult for me to get this dual boot working again. I find it really weird though. mandrake 9.2 and redhat 9 have been on that machine and dual booted without probs. Im just going to reformat all and reinstall my win2K then. ( i need it for my wireless NIC, there's no support for mine yet in linux, as i found out in an earlier thread)

To reinstall the Windows bootloader, get an MS-Dos boot disk. Boot to it, and from the command line, do

Code:
    fdisk /mbr
    I'd say try that, and maybe then, after it works, try booting into Mandrake from a rescue disk and reinstall lilo.

Check the tutorials section for how to do this.

Well while loading from win2k boot disks i got an error message of a corupted file "aic78....sys. so i guess my diskettes(or drive maybe?) are busted . they are old ones i hardly ever use anymore. I dont have any diskettes around anymore (some antique dd's but that's useless) so i just formatted all but my personal data partition and im reinstalling win now. Do you think this might be solved in an upgrade or will this problem continue when i try to install mandrake again?
    Most of my data and documents are portable to windows but i'd

another thing i was thinking about, how about i install 9.2 and then let it upgrade to 10.0? would that be any better?

thanks for the help

I don't have any experience with Mandrake, so I wouldn't know. Reinstalling the bootloader would tell you if it was a freak accident or if it would do it again.

Also, you would run fdisk from an MS-Dos bootdisk, not from the Windows 2000 bootdisks.

You can get a bootdisk from http://bootdisk.com

Darn i misunderstood that. I thought i needed to boot up from the win2k boot disk and then go to dos prompt. i didnt think an old msdos boot disk would work with win2k. damn that was dumb of me. well guess we all have to learn. i can try installing mandrake again now to see if this ntldr problem pops up again. Takes me a bit more time this way .

well, i tried a bunch of that stuff and all i could get was missing operating system, even when trying to re-install windoze...then I put xandros and tried to boot windows through its lilo, and it just sits there with the blank _ cursor blinking forever