Thread: My Screen on the laptop

My Screen on the laptop

I was trying to do something using the Knoppix Live CD on my Laptop today and I had to use the root konsole and this is the second time this has happened. The

knoppix@knoppix:$

thing is way below the screen where i cannot see and all I can see is what I see when Knoppix' Kernel boots. SO i just had to type in startx to get back to KDE. The same thing happened when I tried Gentoo on the laptop as well so I just typed emerge system and then got everything going. May I know how i can prevent this?

Thanks.

Re:My Screen on the laptop

Can you be more descriptive of the problem, possibly re-word it?

Advisor

reajust the position of the screen image, if it's possible, else do a "clear" command to get rid of all the previus messages that's blocking the view.

[quote author=redhead link=board=6;threadid=8874;start=0#msg80129 date=1079679962]
    reajust the position of the screen image, if it's possible, else do a "clear" command to get rid of all the previus messages that's blocking the view.
    [/quote]

I will try that Thank You.

The clear command works. But it is getting really annoying as even my Slackware 9.1 /dev/ttys* also has the same problem. I had to re-install the Slackware distribution because I had to re-install something.I tried to re-size the image but it doesn't work. My Tiny Linux dualboot doesn't have these problems.
    Any ideas are appreciated.

Thank you very much.

Sounds like a frame buffer problem to me. Do you know if you use framebuffer for the console? Easiest way to tell is that during boot there will be a penguin or some other logo in the top left corner of the screen. Maybe the graphics card isn't well supported by the framebuffer driver. I have the same problem on my Powerbook (nvidia graphics card). What's the graphic chip your notebook has?

NeoMagic MagicGraph 128XD

You might be right. I will check that! For the framebuffer I chose a different one than last time so that might be the problem. Once Again, thank you very much! I really appreciate your help because I've been having this problem veyr long. Thanks!

How bout not using framebuffer mode for the console at all. Maybe that helps. You can probably check with the Knoppix CD first there should be an option like nofb or something.

[quote author=demian link=board=6;threadid=8874;start=0#msg82015 date=1082411246]
    How bout not using framebuffer mode for the console at all. Maybe that helps. You can probably check with the Knoppix CD first there should be an option like nofb or something.
    [/quote]

It was the problem! Thanks!