Thread: My take on C#

My take on C#

Okay, so it's been about two weeks since I saw the thread Ralinx started in which he invited us all to try out Mono/C#. As a very big language enthusiast (I've tried about 20 languages in the past two years). I admit I was skeptical at first, but after trying it, I got to say it's nice. Not great, but it definitly is nice. I am probably going to try to think of a project to do (with glade# probably) to get me more into the language.

Re:My take on C#

Yeah definitely check out all that Mono has to offer. gtk#, glade#, gnome#, I believe there are mozilla# bindings....everything's managed, and everything's syntactical sugar. If we could be guaranteed that these parts that mono has implemented are truly free from MS patents (aside from ASP.NET / Windows.Forms / other parts of it that WILL be shut down, it's just a matter of when), I'd be 100% behind the idea of Gnome being based on Mono.

Out of curiosity, as a language enthusiast have you dabbled in any assembly? If so, you may want to check out parrot at http://www.parrotcode.org/ . Apparently it provides an assembly language that delivers similar functionality to perl / python scripts. I've only taken brief looks at it, but it looks to be an intriguing system.

[quote author=Tyr_7BE link=board=9;threadid=8931;start=0#msg80586 date=1080514006]
    Out of curiosity, as a language enthusiast have you dabbled in any assembly? If so, you may want to check out parrot at http://www.parrotcode.org/ . Apparently it provides an assembly language that delivers similar functionality to perl / python scripts. I've only taken brief looks at it, but it looks to be an intriguing system.
    [/quote]

Okay, let me rephrase what I said: I'm a big high-level language enthusiast. C, Assembly do not really interest me.

[quote author=GnuVince link=board=9;threadid=8931;start=0#msg80598 date=1080525992]
    [quote author=Tyr_7BE link=board=9;threadid=8931;start=0#msg80586 date=1080514006]
    [/quote]

Okay, let me rephrase what I said: I'm a big high-level language enthusiast. C, Assembly do not really interest me.
    [/quote]

It still applies in some way. Parrot is intended to replace the perl interpreter, python, interpreter, ruby interpreter, and just about any other scripting language out there (and possibly non-scripting languages...we'll see what develops). Basically, perl/python/ruby/tcl/whatever get compiled into a common form of bytecode. It's .NET for scripting...write a subroutine in Ruby, run it from a perl script, and instantiate the whole thing in some python code.

You don't need to know asm unless you're doing development. I figured if you're into these things it might be worth pointing out for future projects. It's till a little immature at the moment, but keep an eye on it.

I was saying that I don't know Assembly, which was the first question you asked me.

I know about Parrot, but for now it still is vapor-ware, there's nothing concrete. Sure, it'll probably be nice, but for now Mono is real and quite advanced.

Also, Mono has one extremely big advantage over Parrot, Python, Perl, Ruby, etc.: Windows programmers know it. Learning Mono will make me marketable for companies that follow software trends (I would rather work for one that does not, but you got to take a job, eh?) and Windows developpers can easily and quickly get into Linux programming.

i'm glad you like it.

to me the only downside to C#/.NET is the fact that Microsoft created it. Most people who don't like C#/.NET are usually people who don't like it _because_ it's a microsoft technology. i didn't like it at first either until i saw first hand how powerful it is. now i love it.