Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Some Perl Questions, File::Find Module
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some Perl Questions, File::Find Module

Some Perl Questions, File::Find Module

Hi! I am working for my school's Athletic Department and I was just wondering how can I assign a file to a scalar variable.

Here is what I mean:

$sourcedir = "/var/www/cgi-bin/source.pl";

is that possible? so when ever I refer to $sourcedir, I am actually referring to source.pl located in the directory above...

thanks!

Re:Some Perl Questions

Are you talking about file path or the contents of the file?

[quote author=chessforce link=board=9;threadid=8862;start=0#msg80022 date=1079527207]
    Are you talking about file path or the contents of the file?
    [/quote]

I need to access the contents of the file.

It depends on how you want to access the contents. You actually use something called a file handle to read/write to the contents of a file.

You read the contents of a file like this.

my $filename="/tmp/filename.pl";

open(FILEHANDLENAME, $filename) || die "Could not open file,$!\n";
    my @array = <FILENHANDLENAME>;
    close(FILEHANDLENAME);

print @array;

If wanted to print something out to a file then you would do this.

open(FILEHANDLENAME, ">$filename") || die "Could not open file,$!\n";

print FILEHANDLENAME "This line will be printed out to $filename\n";
    close(FILEHANDLENAME);

The code above will create/write-over the file $filename. If you wanted to append (write to the end of) a file then you would use '>>' instead of '>'

If you are really new to perl then, I would suggest getting a nice used book on ebay.

HTH

Just to add my two cents, a good beginners book is Sam's Teach Yourself Perl In 24 Hours.

Thanks! I have all the books from OReilly and * for dummies books for Perl. But I couldn't find it there but anyways thanks!

Re:Some Perl Questions, File::Find Module

Hi! I have some File::Find Questions, I just want to know if I am using it right because it gives me some errors:

Code:
    #!/usr/bin/perl -w

use strict;
    use warnings;
    use File::Find;

my @directories = ('/var/tmp/', '/home/shebang/' , '/var/www/')

finddepth('perl' , @directories);
    Shouldn't it return the things that it finds should have 'perl' in the name?

um, could you please post the errors too?

[quote author=countach44 link=board=9;threadid=8862;start=0#msg80157 date=1079733446]
    um, could you please post the errors too?
    [/quote]

Code:
    Can't use string ("perl") as a subroutine ref while "strict refs" in use at /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.2/File/Find.pm line
    So does it want the "perl" to be a subroutine? If so, what can I put in the subroutine?

Here's what I got from CPAN
    Code:
        use File::Find;
        finddepth(\&wanted, @directories_to_search);
        sub wanted { ... }
    so yes, "perl" must be a subroutine
    also,
    Code:
    The wanted() function does whatever verifications you want on each file and directory. It takes no arguments but rather does its work through a collection of variables.

$File::Find::dir is the current directory name,
    $_ is the current filename within that directory
    $File::Find::name is the complete pathname to the file.

Don't modify these variables.

For example, when examining the file /some/path/foo.ext you will have:

$File::Find::dir  = /some/path/
        $_                = foo.ext
        $File::Find::name = /some/path/foo.ext