Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Data Recovery

Mentor

Data Recovery

I have a friend who accidentally wrote files onto the disk that held her assignment, due tomorrow. I was wondering what I need to do to get the old data back, if its at all possible.
    Cheers
    CP

Good Guru

Re:Data Recovery

Am not sure what you are asking ....

You mean she saved the file that is top of the old file like she wrote that on MSWord and updated it and accidentally overwrote it?

Or she deleted the files and wanted to recover it?

What do you mean "wrote files onto the disk"? Data are supposed to be written to the disk whether it's hard disks or floppy disks.

Mentor

I'm not entirely sure how she did it, but basically she had 2 floppy disks. And somehow she just ghosted one onto the other. I have no idea how, but now she has 2 disks with exacltly the same thing on both of them. So what I'd like to do, which I don't really think is possible, is un-ghost it.
    Cheers
    CP

Uhhhmmmm....basically it kinda sucks to be her...sorry. :-[

I'd ask her specifically what she did and take it from there.

Mentor

Hey CP

there are some utilities out there for recovering data but i'm not sure about data on a floppy dive.

take a look at this link it's a goggle search for data recovery software. somewhere down that list there is a free trial or a free demo give that a shot.

not too long ago i was looking for something similar.

Let me know how you make out i just might buy one of those utilities.

Mentor

Well I had a real good look, and couldn't find anything to help. I kinda figured she was in trouble. I don't really know what she did. I'm pretty sure that because it was written over, even if it was recoverable it would have been corrupted to hell. If it had just been deleted it would have been easier, but no. Thanks for the help guys
    CP

Good Guru

Well, I have successfully used [url=http://freshmeat.net/projects/recover/]recover to get the deleted inodes ( when I deleted my entire /usr directory :-[ ). The only problem is that it required to know the exact inodes that it contains.

But then again, floppy have only 1.4 MB so it should be easier to recover than my sucker 8 GB HDD. Even that it took only a few hours to do the job ( which I did it over a few days periods ). I'm not sure how it will do on floppy since my experience is only on HDD but I don't see the reason why it won't.

HTH ...

Oh BTW, make backup copy of the disk before you do anything.

Mentor

Its too late now, the assignment was due at 9am. At least she had an oldish backup somewhere. Thanks for that link, i'm going to have a look at that, because the way I work, I'm bound to need it at some stage.
    The other problem was I found utilities for ext2 but nothing for fat filesystem recovery.
    Thanks anyway
    CP

Ma got a new digital camera, took some pictures of my sister's rugy game, came home showed them to family on the camera, didn't copy to computer, played with some stuff and deleted them all....

Luckly she didn't take any more pictures before giving me the camera, I dumped the whole memory card, looked at it, extracted all the things starting with a jpeg header, piece of cake.

Kinda different situation, but still, if you need something recovered regardless of filesystem/whatever, try looking for it by hand.