Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

which version

Thread: which version

which version

Brand New Linux User here.

I guess Technically not even a linux User yet...I've read somewhat with it. Got a lot of friends that use it. Know it's good stuff...But don't even have it installed on my comp yet. All my experience has been with Win9x, Win2k, and a very little bit with WinXP. I don't even know how to install and set up a Linux box. I DLed redhat9, but haven't even attempted to install it yet. (been too lazy to reformat the comp lol) What kind of file system does Linux use? Right now i'm using a cheap laptop formatted with NTFS5. I am totally ignorant, and need all the help i can get...anyway...back to the original point of this post. What is a good version of Linux for a total and complete Newb? Anyone who can help me out in Plain English (redneck dialect lol) can email me at crash139@xmsg.com or IM me on AIM...bad0karma0one
    thank you for any help.

Re:which version

Hi,

Normally we prefer to keep help here on the forum; that way, if anyone else is looking for the same answer as you, they can find it.

Linux uses a variety of file systems. The most commons are Ext2, Ext3 and ReiserFS.

If you are learning Linux, and you already downloaded Red Hat 9, you might as well stick to that. Later on, after you get the hang of it, you might then want to look around and see other flavors.

A linux install can co-exist nicely with a Window sone, so you might not need to remove your Windows partition. Just make sure you have enough extra hard drive space not allocated to anything.

If you boot to the Red Hat cd, it should guide you by the hand.

Good Guru

[quote author=Badkarma link=board=7;threadid=8851;start=0#msg79879 date=1079379961]
    Brand New Linux User here.
    What kind of file system does Linux use? Right now i'm using a cheap laptop formatted with NTFS5.[/quote]

Red Hat sticks with ext2 and ext3. I would stick with that. But as to comparabilities to NTFS5, I would say your best bet for benches is to hit google and see what crops up. All in all, sticking with ext filesystems is my motto. Way more stable than NTFS or FAT. Far less data corruption (say to the order of NONE), and an assload of data recovery tools (comparable to the plethora of Win32 tools out there, except almost all are of exceeding quality).

What is a good version of Linux for a total and complete Newb?
    yeah stick with Red Hat, LindowsOS, SuSE, Debian or Slackware depending on your aim.

The first three are the most general purpose for the userland. Newbs, pros, and just users period can easily use the OS. Deb and Slack are different.

Debian is about the epitome of pure user community projects. And all the contribs are FREE for life. No strings at all. Slack is similar, but run by one guy, and accepts packages from few sources (although there are several decent repositories of packages).

Slack is not the easiest to pick up on, but if you go this route -- your linux skills will be very well honed, as well as your general PC skills. If you are a computer enthusiast, start with either Red Hat or Slack. I started on Slack, moved to Red Hat (hence my avatar ;D ). Slack learned me well. Red Hat is just there cuz it works well, and I am really fucking lazy. It works for me, but allows me the power that something like LindowsOS tries to hide.

Sorry to interrupt, but aren't Slackware and Debian a bit too hard for a brand new user?

I started with Mandrake and really didn't like it, then moved to Fedora, on which I really learned basically all of my Linux stuff and probably the easiest install i've done so far. I use Debian now and i am still going through the distro. I'd suggest going for Fedora or Red Hat.

Here is a good site for partitioning and Installing RH Linux 9:

http://bicnproductions.com/html/news/linux/1-1.htm

Hopefully this will be of some help to you.

I learned linux with Slackware. Afterwards I tried Red Hat and ended going back to Slack.

[quote author=trickster link=board=7;threadid=8851;start=0#msg79901 date=1079405695]
    I learned linux with Slackware. Afterwards I tried Red Hat and ended going back to Slack.

[/quote]

hmm. well, after using it, i think it is not so hard of a distro but for people who are just coming into the UNIX based OS' , it might be a little confusing.

Good Guru

[quote author=shebang link=board=7;threadid=8851;start=0#msg79900 date=1079404970]
    Sorry to interrupt, but aren't Slackware and Debian a bit too hard for a brand new user?
    [/quote]

Hell no. ITs how much effort one wants to put in. If all you feel liek doing is slapping a few cds in and letting the installer do all the work, then yeah, Deb and Slack are too "hard". But if you dont mind reading and using the brain given, Slack is one of the easiest distros to install. Configuring is a bit tougher, but still not as bad as many make it out to be.

It all really depends. If you really want to learn the OS itself, use Debian Gentoo or Slack, but if you just want to use it and experiment, use Mandrake RedHat or SuSE.

Another thing. I see this as a problem with many new users. They like to switch distros almost every week, thinking they will get a different answer. Almost fits the definition of insanity. Really, stick with one until you get to know what you are doing, and then you can really tell the difference in other distros other than a flashy desktop.

My $0.02

In the case of Debian I have found that it is really not that difficult to install (esp if you use Knoppix) and it is very easy to maintain using apt-get.

With that said if you use "vanilla" Debian you will probably have to do a bit (or a lot) of confguring to get things looking the way you want. This is a plus or a minus depending on how much you enjoy testing choosing and playing with different software packages.