Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What kinda music will survive?

Mentor

Re:What kinda music will survive?

[quote author=coltrane link=board=17;threadid=8841;start=0#msg79809 date=1079247043]
    I really think that rap (commercial pop mess) will implode and eat itself alive ala disco.
    [/quote]

I hope it will happen sooner than later. The one genre of music I cannot stand. (I'm hard pressed to even call it music. More like some dudes reciting 'poems' to a monotone drum beat.)

[quote author=coltrane link=board=17;threadid=8841;start=0#msg79809 date=1079247043]
    I really think that rap (commercial pop mess) will implode and eat itself alive ala disco. Hip-Hop will remain though, going the way of jazz music, rock, country, and blues.
    [/quote]

Well put. I agree. Morons like "Jay-Z" and "50-Cent" and other self-proclaimed 'gangstaz' will go the way of the dinosaurs, hopefully sooner rather than later. That said, I've an immense respect for hip-hop and artists with talented rhythmic abilities and who have something to say besides "me and my crew we gonna blaze yo' pad." If you don't have anything worthwhile to say, don't open your mouth in the first place.

my personal views on rap:
    sexist, racist slurs with bad computer generated beats in the background made of some new sorta psudo poetry just to make some extra money, created by people who were probobly picked on through their entire high school life and tried to become "cool" by learning some slang and how to swear every other sentance for a whole 5 minute period.

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada

Although I voted for Classical as it has stood the test of time and is the music I listen to most, I also love early Rock'nRoll.

Ok, alot of rap is kinda extreme to be called music, but it's selling. Now, what about some of this Heavy Metal, Punk rock crap...is that considered music? Half the time you can't understand what the hell their saying or suppose to be singing. More like screaming then singing!

Just a thought! I'm a fan of jazz and R & B.

probably the same reason anyone likes any other category, cause of the beats. plus some people just like to get their adrenaline running, get some energy. like me.

[quote author=Saptech link=board=17;threadid=8841;start=0#msg79830 date=1079318085]
    Ok, alot of rap is kinda extreme to be called music, but it's selling. Now, what about some of this Heavy Metal, Punk rock crap...is that considered music? Half the time you can't understand what the hell their saying or suppose to be singing. More like screaming then singing!

Just a thought! I'm a fan of jazz and R & B.

[/quote]

You can't base the longevity of a genre on whether or not it sells...in fact, it's often just the opposite. Take a look at Britney. She comes on the scene and her recordings are a huge hit, selling like crazy. Now she's old news, and has to resort to stunts like kissing Madonna to beat out the likes of Christina and Pink. When a pop star is no longer selling music but instead selling their image, they cease being a musician and become an icon (a twisted, perverse icon, but an icon nonetheless). The same can be applied to the commerical rap crowd and their so-called "gang wars." The more controversy they can raise, the more publicity they'll get and the more records they'll sell. If we were basing our definition of musical success solely on talent, these bozos would be run down by a million talented indy artists in no time (http://beatbasement.com/bb.htm for a wicked example...http://www.2kool4radio.com/ if you're looking for the rock-oriented alternative). So why are they so successful? Like other pop music genres of the day (be it bubblegum britney, wanksta 50-cent, or the sorry excuses for grunge and alternative that pollute the airways today), they've sold out. They've sold out hard. People aren't into the pop music...they're into the soap opera behind it. Muchmusic (canadian music video station for those unfamiliar) even has a show called "Much Disses" which has become wildly popular. The entire point of the show is to recap the shit that artists have thrown around at each other.

Music in the pop industry has become secondary, just as WWE wrestling has taken a back seat to the soap opera behind it all. Priority number one is getting as famous as you possibly can, as fast as you possibly can, make your $$$$ and get the hell out.

It reminds me of a quote from one of those bands that make that punk rock crap:

Parasitic music industry
    As it destroys itself
    We'll show them how it's supposed to be

Music written from devotion
    Not ambition, not for fame
    Zero people are exploited
    There are no tricks, up our sleeve

Gonna fight against the mass appeal
    We're gonna kill the 7 record deal
    Make records that have more than one good song
    The dinosaurs will slowly die
    And I do believe no one will cry
    I'm just fucking glad I'm gonna be
    There to watch the fall
    --NOFX, "Dinosaurs Will Die"
    http://www.plyrics.com/lyrics/nofx/d...rswilldie.html

[quote author=Tyr_7BE link=board=17;threadid=8841;start=#msg79840 date=1079333111]
    [quote author=Saptech link=board=17;threadid=8841;start=0#msg79830 date=1079318085]

Parasitic music industry[/quote]

Punk rock crap? :[/quote]

[quote author=philangatron link=board=17;threadid=8841;start=0#msg79816 date=1079281143]
    lol, and you point is?
    [/quote]

Most "American" music is a derivitive of bluegrass. From bluegrass, came country, from country came rock, and from rock, came the mindless crap that plays on the radio today. Personnally I enjoy bluegrass much more than anything on the radio. If I wanted to listen to mindless drivel all day I would stay at work...

[quote author=trickster link=board=17;threadid=8841;start=0#msg79844 date=1079355366]
    [quote author=Tyr_7BE link=board=17;threadid=8841;start=#msg79840 date=1079333111]

Parasitic music industry[/quote]

Punk rock crap? :[/quote]
    [/quote]

Just quoting that dude, trickster. Punk happens to be one of my favorites, NOFX being one of my top picks