Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where oh where is.....

Where oh where is.....

...KDE 3.2 ??? I have been checking the news sites all day, looking for a sign, any sign, that 3.2 had hit the mirrors. I have no care for groundhogs, or nipple rings exposed during the superbowl. I ONLY WANT MY KDE!!!

Should I just stay at the keyboard the rest of the night, with my hands posed over the keyboard in a su terminal, waiting for that magic moment when I can type "emerge kde?"

I have got to have my fix and I really don't know how much longer I can hold out. Honestly, this is worse than waiting on SCO to produce some real evidence!

Any advice, thoughts and information welcomed.

Re:Where oh where is.....

it's branched in CVS - if you really insist on using crappy DEs yank it from CVS or wait a weeks time for the official release.

It was officially released today.
    http://slashdot.org/articles/04/02/0...21&tid=189

Mentor

[quote author=trickster link=board=6;threadid=8633;start=#msg77959 date=1075815238]
    It was officially released today.
    http://slashdot.org/articles/04/02/0...21&tid=189
    [/quote]

Woops ...
    An error occured while loading http://www.kde.org:
    Could not connect to host www.kde.org

the website and ftp is currently swarmed - largely thanks to /.

It would seem that they hit it BEFORE they could mirror it - aren't you all happy that they were nice enough to wait?

[quote author=Lovechild link=board=6;threadid=8633;start=0#msg77953 date=1075793919]
    it's branched in CVS - if you really insist on using crappy DEs yank it from CVS or wait a weeks time for the official release.
    [/quote]

He's talking about KDE, not crappy Gnome. :P

Slackware packages here:

http://download.kde.org/download.php...Slackware/9.1/

The site seems to be back online.

[quote author=cga link=board=6;threadid=8633;start=0#msg77962 date=1075830667]
    [quote author=Lovechild link=board=6;threadid=8633;start=0#msg77953 date=1075793919]
    [/quote]

[/quote]

I would beg to differ. I've been using Gnome since 2.2, and recently put KDE on my girlfriend's computer. I feel bad about putting 3.1 on there for her. *I* couldn't use it and I've been using Linux for 4 years! A few things that really stood out:

-There is absolutely no need for 3 text editors
    -The Control Panel shouldn't take up like 10 frames when you expand all the options, most having at LEAST 2 tabs of configurable stuff. Same goes for preference dialogues. It took me half an hour to figure out how get rid of the flashing square behind my cursor when I start up applications, and I STILL don't know how to set the homepage on konqueror.
    -Kopete should not allow you the option of removing the menubar with no clear way of getting it back. Documentation revealed nothing. I had to Google for the solution.
    -I shouldn't be looking at two different windows with two different button sizes and shapes (some were long and rectangular some were shorter and squatter) and in inconsistent position relative to one-another.
    -Being confronted with a wall of words that start with "K" in the menus is just intimidating.

Hopefully these will be fixed in KDE 3.2, but I somehow doubt it.

There. That oughta stir things up around here

[quote author=Tyr_7BE link=board=6;threadid=8633;start=0#msg77970 date=1075834162]
    [quote author=cga link=board=6;threadid=8633;start=0#msg77962 date=1075830667]
    [/quote]

[/quote]

I would beg to differ. I've been using Gnome since 2.2, and recently put KDE on my girlfriend's computer. I feel bad about putting 3.1 on there for her. *I* couldn't use it and I've been using Linux for 4 years! A few things that really stood out:

-There is absolutely no need for 3 text editors
    -The Control Panel shouldn't take up like 10 frames when you expand all the options, most having at LEAST 2 tabs of configurable stuff. Same goes for preference dialogues. It took me half an hour to figure out how get rid of the flashing square behind my cursor when I start up applications, and I STILL don't know how to set the homepage on konqueror.
    -Kopete should not allow you the option of removing the menubar with no clear way of getting it back. Documentation revealed nothing. I had to Google for the solution.
    -I shouldn't be looking at two different windows with two different button sizes and shapes (some were long and rectangular some were shorter and squatter) and in inconsistent position relative to one-another.
    -Being confronted with a wall of words that start with "K" in the menus is just intimidating.

Hopefully these will be fixed in KDE 3.2, but I somehow doubt it.

There. That oughta stir things up around here
    [/quote]

Those points are why one should not use "vanilla" KDE. KDE on my SUSE box is a whole different world from what you describe. There is only one text editor, under "utilities" in the menu and it is labeled "text editor". All the programs are clearly named, such as email, web browser, word processor and so on. I find it very easy to use.

I don't have any trouble with buttons or widgets or things either, but then again, I set it mimic Windows 95 and everything is nice and consistent.

"if you really insist on using crappy DEs"

HAHA! I suppose next Netcraft will confirm that KDE is dying!

"Could not connect to host www.kde.org"

Yeah, the dealer gets swamped when everybody is trying to procure their crack at the same time.

"He's talking about KDE, not crappy Gnome."

Hey, Gnome's not crappy. I am sure I will hit a Gnome phase sooner or later, prolly at Gnome 3.0. I detest ALL DEs at 2.x phase, including Gnome. Refused to touch KDE in 2.x phase too.

"There is absolutely no need for 3 text editors"

DO_NOT_COMPILE is my friend.

"The Control Panel shouldn't take up like 10 frames when you expand all the options, most having at LEAST 2 tabs of configurable stuff. Same goes for preference dialogues. It took me half an hour to figure out how get rid of the flashing square behind my cursor when I start up applications, and I STILL don't know how to set the homepage on konqueror."

Agreed. Gnome spanks KDE up and down the street on this one. KDE should release printable flash cards to help you learn/remember where things are located in the confusing abomination known as the Kontrol Center.

"Kopete should not allow you the option of removing the menubar with no clear way of getting it back. Documentation revealed nothing. I had to Google for the solution."

Besides that, will Kopete ever fix that annoying bug where pressing the "Enter" key makes a new line, rather than sending the chat message?

"Being confronted with a wall of words that start with "K" in the menus is just intimidating."

I know. Why can't everyone see having all those Gs in the menu is so much better?

"Hopefully these will be fixed in KDE 3.2, but I somehow doubt it."

Me too. I like it anyway, warts and all, at least I do right now.

"Those points are why one should not use "vanilla" KDE. "

Agreed. KDE comes with so many unnecessary apps that I would never use. Here is my DO_NOT_COMPILE list:

export DO_NOT_COMPILE="aktion artsbuilder atlantikdesigner kamera kandy karm kchart kdat kdeprintfax kdm kedit kformula khexedit kiconedit killustrator kivio kjots kmid kmidi knewsticker knotes kontour kooka korn kpaint kpilot kpresenter krayon krdc krfb kruler ksim ksirc ksnapshot ktalkd ktimer kwikdisk kxconfig lisa noatun"