Thread: Linux+ certification...please help me

Linux+ certification...please help me

Hi. Seaman Apprentice Bell Here. I'm brand new to Linux (like...downloaded it and don't even have it installed yet.) I want to learn to use it, and I definitely want to get certified, at the US navy's expense. Could anyone give me some good advice on getting started with linux? I have Linux Redhat9
    Also, does anyone know where i should go to study for the CompTia Linux+ certification?

BTW, Mountainman, are ya still out there dood?

Re:Linux+ certification...please help me

Werd bro. Hows the wife? As with all things linux, the best way to learn is to do. Get a linux+ book and a couple of old pos puters and put a lan together. Goto the book store up there in Great Lakes and get a redhat 9 book and start reading. Start reading the forums here, as well as the PETs (Plain English Tutorials). There is a wealth of knowledge and experience here.

hey man rawk on and thanks. umm...there's a book store at Great Mistakes?
    i was not aware...i'll ask around about it...

I took my a+ hardware yesterday...out of my class of 20 people, me and 1 other person passed...makes you feel real comfortable don't it? knowing the navy is employing such intelligent ITs?

Thats pretty much just sad and pathetic. Wish they had IT when I was in. :'(

*hijacking*

How many brother do you have Mountainman (and why aren't they all succesfully converted yet) ?

Grab lots and lots of book. I took my Linux+ after a year of Linux and was successful with passing. The book I used was Sybex's Linux+ Study Guide. It's really no big deal. Just learn a lot of command line commands, and how to use them extensively. Plus learn the basics of installing (Not with RedHat, more like Slackware or Debian). Also, know the X server a bit would help a lot also.

[quote author=Lovechild link=board=13;threadid=8832;start=0#msg79722 date=1079043281]
    *hijacking*

How many brother do you have Mountainman (and why aren't they all succesfully converted yet) ?
    [/quote]

Just one blood type brother. I have been working on BadKarma for a few years to get him converted. I have known him since he was about 12.

Im the one true bro. And, since I know several peeps who serve as IT's on the boats, no, it doesnt surprise me. There are a helluva lot of morons out in the world. I work with/for a guy right now who has a masters degree and I wont let him into any of the equipment that I might have to fix.
    And, as a great and upbeat note to end this post on, Im ending my exile to the frozen wasteland of New England on Monday. WOOOHOOOOO. Do a little dance.....
    Ahem, well, you get the picture. The only good thing about this trip was the pay.
    Later on

Abnormal, aka 10dedfish