Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Hey, any ideas on how i can stop this?

Thread: Hey, any ideas on how i can stop this?

Hey, any ideas on how i can stop this?

Ok, my sister has this latest new obsession with watching music videos on the net. She watches them at full quality, iduno how much bandwidth it takes, but it really makes my 560k line seem slow. She doesn't listen when I ask her to go to medium quality, and just so I don't sound like im trying to be mean, it is my internet. Is there any way I can limit her usage of that, or at least get her to understand -why- its driving me nuts? (it makes it so my downloads are like..16KB/s - 20KB/s, which is murder on larger files). I currently have a D-Link router, but if needed, I can always set up a Linux/BSD router. Thanks. (just FYI, I want to limit her to 192Kb/s, which i think is fair)

Advisor

Re:Hey, any ideas on how i can stop this?

Follow trickster's links on the lartc homepage there's a program called wondershaper. This will easily do the trick. The whole LARTC thingy is rather complex and it's up to you if you want to really understand everything that's going on there but wondershaper works fine for simple things like limiting bandwidth based on IPs or ports.

Sisters never listen dude, buy bigger pipes

[quote author=Lovechild link=board=14;threadid=8820;start=0#msg79700 date=1079007193]
    Sisters never listen dude, buy bigger pipes
    [/quote]

i havn't the money

I'd say set a box as a router with the info provided earlier. Besides the obvious benefits, you will learn a lot of useful networking stuff.

As you said, it's your internet -- unplug her computer. If it's really yours, she won't be able to do anything about it, and you have the problem solved. Maybe after a week let her back on if she behaves.