Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

text file search tool

Thread: text file search tool

text file search tool

hey everybody,
    I'm trying to find either a perl or php based tool to search through approx 100,000 flat text files with RPT extenstion, and be able to search through them via a web browser.

all have the same format for the top 12 or so lines, and thats what i'd like to parse into a db (for example).

does something like this exist? tried htdig, and it doesnt work.

thanks.

Advisor
    i'm not sure i understand the question, but if i do you should be able to do it fairly easily by just opening all the .rpt files and regexing it out, in either of those langs

i have a tutorial on regex's if you want on my site (should be in my sig)

definitely a start, thanks.

basically, I would like to be able to run a search rom a webpage on these text files for every instance of X (for example) and maybe be able to drill down furthur. the data is old reports from a financial app that has no search feature and are archived to a different server.

thanks for the info on your site.

Advisor
    well, opening files in php is easy, and so would setting up a text form where the user could put in an expression to look for. I think your main concern here is going to be security. here is an example of a simple php page that just opens a file that is passed via arguments in the addy.

http://sfexplore.com/~bniemczyk/index.phps

notice how it removes . characters and / characters, your going to want to do similar or else an attacker could do something like

http://yoursite/../../../../etc/passwd

;p