Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Compiler to Java

Thread: Compiler to Java

Compiler to Java

Hi! I am learning Java at school and I want to try some of the programs out on Linux. is there a similar compiler for Java as is for C++ (gcc, g++) ? I am just wondering. Any text based compilers would be nice to know. Thanks!

Re:Compiler to Java

gcc includes a java compiler http://gcc.gnu.org/

What you want is a java compiler and a bytecode interpreter. GCC compiles java, but it compiles it to native machine code. While that's pretty cool and all, I'm 99% certain that the class at your school will be compiling to java bytecode. Plus if you use bytecode you'll be able to run the same binaries at home and on windows boxes.

First things first...see if you already have java. Type "javac --version" and see if anything comes up. If so, you're set. If not, you can grab a version of the JDK from http://www.blackdown.org/ or grab the official J2SDK java tools from http://java.sun.com/ . Let us know if you need help installing or using the tools.

Thanks for replying.

Countach44: gcc gives me parse errors in the script

Tyr_7BE: I tried javac --version and it said javac: command not found. So it is not installed on my system. But I did download the J2SDK from Sun and burned it to a cd as I don't have internet on my Linux yet.. i am hopefully going to get it tomorrow and I am installing it..after it installs i will tell you how it goes..

You gotta be way more descriptive than that, which script and while doing what?

[quote author=countach44 link=board=9;threadid=8805;start=0#msg79511 date=1078548613]
    You gotta be way more descriptive than that, which script and while doing what?
    [/quote]

i meant gives parse errors in the program. sorry. and my other C++ and C scripts work but uh..the Java Program keeps saying that there are parse errors in the program.

By descriptive I meant give the actual errors, also make sure your compiler isn't tryin to compile them as C or C++.

Did you run gcj instead of gcc? gcj is the native compiler.

However, I do recommend you get a java virtual machine up and running...when I took a java course there were some assignments that involved fiddling around with the memory footprint of the jvm. If you don't have a jvm then you're SOL for the assignment.