Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2962

A great article

Thread: A great article

A great article

I found this at OSNews. I couldn't have said it better myself. I don't consider myself 'leet' by any means, but I do believe in accepting responsibility for my own computer system(s) and how they do what they do for me. As eluded to in the article; some future OS's will actually have us saving our files into the ether. That is... Not having the user decide where the files are stored, but to just have them go into a repositiory database. No more c:\home\documents\what_have_you...

The author makes some very good points and this subject has been a kind of creeping problem for some years now.
    Steve

THE GEEKPATROL

WINTER SPECIAL - ADWARE/SPYWARE REMOVAL $100.

Virus, Upgrades, Repairs, Wired & Wireless Networking, Digital Imaging, Digital Video, Digital Music, Handhelds, Windows & Mac , free estimates 561-542-1180 www.GeekPatrol-FL.com

$100.00 Dollars to remove adware/spyware?
    I do that for my customer's for free.

And then i tell them about linux.
    Converted more people that way.
    But good article.
    Wenn Sie Spaß meines Englisch mich Willensfuckingtötung Sie bilden.

Mentor

Re: A great article

SNCT, You talking about me?

But, as you all know, there is an end to us "Old Timers". In fact what is now the over 40 crowd will die off and just you punks that grew-up with 'puters will be left.
    Then you will have no one to rant about (except for maccorin ) and a lot of geeks will be out of work.

We hire someone to make our food, make our coffee, wash our clothes, fix our cars, paint our houses, download music on our Mp3 players, program our remote controls and the list goes on. Is this the age of laziness or does no one have the time to learn the things they use on a daily basis? Do I think computers should be dummy proof? No, not me. That takes all the options on how I want to use my computer away from me. To me all it takes is some interest. I’m not talking about compiling the kernel or running complex programming in a terminal. I’m talking about saving a document to the hard drive or knowing the difference between an icon and an executable. I have to admit the likes of Linux isn’t for everyone yet, but Mac or Windows? I think they are easily at the spot we need them to be. What we add to it now is mostly fluff. We have become a society of people that are an expert at one thing and a complete dullard at everything else.
    How many of you are trained (self-taught is ok) in numerous areas?

Advisor
    yea, i'm easy to rant about,

We hire someone to make our food, make our coffee, wash our clothes, fix our cars, paint our houses, download music on our Mp3 players, program our remote controls and the list goes on. Is this the age of laziness or does no one have the time to learn the things they use on a daily basis? Do I think computers should be dummy proof? No, not me. That takes all the options on how I want to use my computer away from me. To me all it takes is some interest. I’m not talking about compiling the kernel or running complex programming in a terminal. I’m talking about saving a document to the hard drive or knowing the difference between an icon and an executable. I have to admit the likes of Linux isn’t for everyone yet, but Mac or Windows? I think they are easily at the spot we need them to be. What we add to it now is mostly fluff. We have become a society of people that are an expert at one thing and a complete dullard at everything else.
    i agree 110%

Mentor
    WHAT? maccorin agrees? HDTH?
    mac, did you miss type?

Well, it's just common sense, really. Yes... There's something to be said for not having to be a math major or something to run a computer, but basic stuff is key. If you don't want to do your own backups, or keep track of YOUR OWN friggin' files, then Bill Gates will be more than happy to take care of it for you... And own your monkey ass in the process.

Honestly; there has been evidence in the not so distant past that that nazi fsck wants to own YOUR content (if you made it with his software). People are lemmings, and people are sheep... And the cliff is coming up folks. Step right up and hope to die at the first bounce :mrgreen: . Use your computer responsibly, or go back to paper and pen, why don't you? The day they come to take my hard drive away will be the day they rip it from my cold dead hands.
    Steve

Mentor

Hot damn, they are talking my language now!

This is what its all about, OpenSource. If you believe, really believe then you have to live it. Billy G. Mickey D. Wally M. Uncle Sam and a bunch more want you to turn your life over to them!

"In order to be an immaculate member of a flock of sheep, one must above all be a sheep oneself." --Einstein

Hells yea snct! I absolutely hate, hate being told that I don't have permission to do something to my computer, by the computer no less! Dammit, if I want to nuke my system when I am tinkering around with it, then I had better be able to. Other products are so anal about making sure you stay well confined in the box that any time you want to do anything out of the norm, you most likely can't.
    jro -
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Linux counter#:213782
    GnuPG ID: 406238E7

Mentor

Get used to it guys, its where you are going! "All your base and everything else belongs to us"
    Saw an EULA the other day that said you could not remove the product from your computer!

What are you going to do? Bitching on Foo.org isn't a solution.

This may be a little off topic, but if the 100+ patents that microsoft have may threaten linux, does that mean that microsoft is going to get its arse kicked by Xerox, who invented the GUI?
    My Website:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Website Uptime:

My Server Specs: AMD Athlon X2 3800+, 2gb DDR2 RAM, 1.5TB HDD, Ubuntu 9.10
    My Gaming PC: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.93ghz, 4gb DDR2 RAM, 9800GTX+