Thread: USB Flash Drive Setup in Fedora Core 1

USB Flash Drive Setup in Fedora Core 1

Hi, Group,

Since I've taken to fooling with Mandrake 9.2 and Fedora lately, I've found it useful to make notes of what I do to tweak the system I'm using them on, my IBM ThinkPad 600E laptop. It helps that I have two hard drives that can swap back and forth - I can work in more than one distro that way without lousing up my work data, but I digress...

Here are some notes on what I had to do to get a USB Flash Drive working under Fedora Core 1. It's worth noting that I still haven't solved the problem of allowing mere mortals to access it yet, and I've tried - gone so far as to create a group called flashdiskusers and assign normal users to it, then did chown and chmod to set permissions on the device - but no joy yet. Well, at least root can use it, that's something, I guess.

Anyway, here it is - hope it sparks some useful discussion.

USB 32 MB Flash Drive (Keychain Drive) Installation Notes
    Friday, 27 February 2004

1.) Background:

I bought a 32 meg USB Flash keychain drive for transferring large files without wasting
    a CD-R disk. The one I bought was on sale at Walgreen's Drugs for about $20.00. Its documentation
    did not explicitly state that it supported Linux, but I figured since my laptop is dual-boot that I could
    still use the device under Win98SE if I had to. The device shipped with a Win98SE driver diskette.

2.) Investigations:

Using the KDE Info Center from the root login, I was able to determine that the USB device was
    recognized by the system as existing at SCSI ID 0, Lun 0 which I figured made it /dev/sda1.

3.) Actions:

Opening a root terminal session, I edited /etc/fstab to add a line as follows to the end of the file:

/dev/sda1/mnt/flashdiskvfatdefaults0 0

This line is followed by a carriage return/line feed as is customarily required by /etc/fstab.
    Rebooting the system, and logging back in as root, I opened a Konqueror window and pointed it to
    /mnt/flashdisk. Lo, and behold, the flash device was mounted and readable.

Note: It's still only writable by root, but I'm still working out the permissions for allowing it to be written by normal users, too...

Well, that's it. Hope it saves somebody some steps. If I work out the rest of it, I might do a PET.

Later On,
    Dave

Re:USB Flash Drive Setup in Fedora Core 1

Hi,

Try editing fstab as PBHarris points out here:

http://www.linuxjunior.org/cgi-bin/p...play&id=48

The problem is probably the vfat file system. If you add the required parameters on fstab, it should be accessible to regular users.

[quote author=trickster link=board=3;threadid=8773;start=0#msg79217 date=1077974860]
    Hi,

Try editing fstab as PBHarris points out here:

http://www.linuxjunior.org/cgi-bin/p...play&id=48

The problem is probably the vfat file system. If you add the required parameters on fstab, it should be accessible to regular users.
    [/quote]

so, basically, the way mine differs from his is in the parameters?

/dev/hda1 /dos ntfs defaults,user,ro,umask=002,gid=100 0 0

and mine would need to be something like:

/dev/sda1 /mnt/flashdisk vfat defaults, user, rw, usmask=002, gid=??? 0 0

where ??? means I don't have a clue about the gid... I'm guessing it would be the gid for the group flashdiskusers I created for users of this device?

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, dude.

Later On,
    Dave

gid = group ID

notice that what you have is ro, as opposed to rw

[quote author=trickster link=board=3;threadid=8773;start=0#msg79366 date=1078262866]
    gid = group ID

notice that what you have is ro, as opposed to rw
    [/quote]

No... a flash disk is a writeable device. rw is correct. my typo above, though, (usmask should be *umask*) is not, however. That was the whole point, by the way, being able to *write* to the device. I could read it as soon as I got it mounted, but that's only half its functionality.

Even after unmounting it, though, it tends to cause some strange effects when I remove it. More reading... perhaps in the hot-plugging how-to? And so it goes...

Thanks Again,
    Dave