Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Windows LAN: Connection present, but won't access network...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows LAN: Connection present, but won't access network...

Windows LAN: Connection present, but won't access network...

I F---ing HATE Windows...

I have a Dell Inspiron 7500 running XP. I have a Xircom RealPort CardBus Ethernet 10/100+Modem 56 network/modem PCMCIA card. NEVER had trouble in the past. Ever since I reinstalled Windows XP I can't connect to the internet using the a LAN. It worked FINE before I re-installed Windows about 2 mos. ago...

The connection is present, and the computer and the router are communicating, but when I try to access the internet, it "detects proxy setting" for about 1 second then tries to dial up using the modem. In the lower right hand corner of the screen the little network connection icon is present and when I mouse over it, it says "Network Connection 100.0 Mbps"

When I had Fedora up and running (about two weeks ago) I was able to use the LAN, and the modem works fine, so I KNOW this is a windows XP thing, not the hardware. Any suggestions. I'm pulling my freakin hair out here. This is driving my f---ing NUTZ!!!! > > >

PS- The LAN L.E.D. is lit up, and when I first connec the network cable the "LAN Activity" light blinks for a while as it connects to the router but then goes dead...

Re:Windows LAN: Connection present, but won't access network...

Do you have the network adpadter installed (and configured for DHCP?)

I guess I don't know because I'm not sure about what you are asking... What do I need to do to check? I feel like an idiot these days...

Open Internet Explorer. Go to Tools>Internet Options and check Never dial a Connection

Hmmm I dunno how to do it on XP, but on 2k it goes something like this: Start->Settings->control panel->Network and dial-up connections->Make New Connection

Star>Run>cmd

On the command line, type ipconfig /all

or
    ipconfig/release
    then
    ipconfig/renew

is it on the same IP block as the rest of them (i dont know what else to call it)? what about subnet?

I've checked all those things. Never dial connection: checked. Try goin into network connections and making a new connection: check. Trying ipconfig in the command line: haven't tried, but I assume you are talking about a DOS terminal. I'll give that a shot.

Just to be clear, I am pretty fluent in Windows. I have never run into a problem I couldn't figure out since Win 95. But with this internet connection problem, EVERYTHING appears to WORKING. I don't understand it. I don't even know where to FIND the problem. The network connection is MADE. Everything is configured the way it sould be. I've checked and double checked with the other computers on the network, and ALL of my settings, as far as I can tell, are correct.

Is it possible for there to be a connection recognized, but the network card being bunk? I mean, do you think its possible that it's a hardware problem? And if so, how would you know without testing it, and how can I test a PCMCIA card without another laptop?

Thanks for all of your suggestions. Keep 'em coming!!!!

-John

I've tried all of your suggestions. NO CHANGE. I also removed the hardware, reintalled a NEW driver, and STILL doesn't work. Maybe it is the hardware.....