Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Distro to replace Suse for laptop.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Distro to replace Suse for laptop.

Distro to replace Suse for laptop.

Hi guys and gals,

Awhile back I was suggested by you guys to install Suse on my bro's laptop. This was like 6 months ago. Lots have change. I need a distro that has good autodetection on instalation and that can be easily updated. Or that can have software installed easily. I tried Debian on it but it was a hassle. I am thinking of Fedora. What you guys think.

Re:Distro to replace Suse for laptop.

I've heard good things about Mandrake, it's supposed to be easy.

The anaconda installer (used by fedora) is my favorite, and fedora seemed to pickup my hardware well. What has changed in regards to SUSE?

Mandrake's Awesome! I am using 10.0 RC1 and I love it! I might switch to Debian since I don't have much control over my system as in customizing and too much rememberance of Windows so I want to switch!

How can one distro give you less control than another? Maybe less tools, but should be same control.

I cannot customize it as much as Fedora or Debian! (woody)

Good Guru

[quote author=shebang link=board=2;threadid=8748;start=0#msg79068 date=1077639864]
    I cannot customize it as much as Fedora or Debian! (woody)
    [/quote]

As much as Mandrake has diappointed me, that is not true. If you are talking GUI enhancements, that is false. All the GNOME themes from art.gnome.org worked fine on every release thus far.

Same for KDE.

Same for any RPMs that need installation.

Same for runlevels, daemons and CLI viewage.

The difference in distros is HOW you install software, where it goes (for some reason we have a BSD style group and the other one, whatever it is called), and what software comes stock.

In all reality, SuSE could be turned into FC1, or vice versa. Or Mandrake into FC1, or vice versa. Its just some work.

Thanks, that's what I was trying to get at.

Good Guru

[quote author=Slave Copy link=board=2;threadid=8748;start=0#msg79069 date=1077662787]
    we have a BSD style group and the other one, whatever it is called[/quote]
    SystemV?

I just installed SuSE 9 on a Toshiba laptop yesterday and had no trouble at all. It autodetected and configured everything, including setting up samba shares and even a mount point to allow access o the small Win2k partion. Very easy- took all of an hour including running on line update and customizing the install.