Thread: New PPC playground!

New PPC playground!

It's a clunker, but it's a Mac nonetheless!

http://www.everymac.com/systems/appl...ma_6300cd.html

I bought the full system with maxed out RAM and a NIC for $50 CDN. Now the question...what to do with it? Currently I'm thinking either install Linux and use it as my "break as often as possible" box, but some sort of server is not out of the question. If I can find a wireless NIC and a portable receiver, wireless MP3 streaming here I come!

Re:New PPC playground!

heh, nice box I love those old computers...fun to play around with..and sometimes usefull

I've got an old Performa 6205 CD that I got for free. I have not done anything with it, other than install OS 8.5. Been thinking about putting Linux on it as well.

Well ok...I boot up and it goes into Mac OS 9.1. I play around for a while, don't find anything great, so I decide it's time to throw linux on this thing. I go grab the Yellowdog ISO's, pop them in, and reboot. It boots back into OS 9.1, so off to the installation instructions I go.

From what I understand, my series of Mac absolutely needs to have Mac OS 9 on it or it won't boot. The installation instructions say to reboot from the OS9 cd and repartition that way. One problem with that: this is an old beast, and the guy who sold it to me didn't have any cd's for it.

Can anyone confirm what I've said (I'm TOTALLY new to the PPC world)? Is there any way to get rid of OS 9 entirely? If not, is there another way to partition other than the utilities on the OS9 cd? If I really do need the OS 9.1 cd to repartition, anyone know where I can get one?

Thanks.

i can't remember if you can go straight linux or not i assume so as there are militants out there that just run linux.

no you have to have a system disc to partition.

you also have to make sure you have an old or new wolrd mac. you choice of linux is reduced even more.

as for system discs....ebay .... i have some but you can't have em.

That system is an Old World Mac. It will not boot anything but MacOS from the CD-ROM. You need to grab BootX (which is really on the YDL 1st CD) and set the kernel and ramdisk to boot from. It will jump into a virtual boot of Linux, and run through the install. Really you don't want to deal with YDL on that system. Go with Debian or NetBSD. Running X can be awfully slow on a system like that, but when using something lightweight like Fluxbox, you should be able to do a bit. I gave up on using X on my 6500 series Mac, but it makes a great DNS/Shell server.

If you really want to make it run fast, grab a Sonnet upgrade CPU. I think the 6300 can use one. *shrug*

[quote author=Tyr_7BE link=board=11;threadid=8727;start=0#msg78820 date=1077237720]
    If I really do need the OS 9.1 cd to repartition, anyone know where I can get one?

Thanks.
    [/quote]Several years ago I obtained MacOS 7.X.X from http://www.shrevesystems.com/ I had to call their 800 number to see if they even had it.

[quote author=Whiz link=board=11;threadid=8727;start=0#msg78846 date=1077255796]
    [quote author=Tyr_7BE link=board=11;threadid=8727;start=0#msg78820 date=1077237720]
    If I really do need the OS 9.1 cd to repartition, anyone know where I can get one?

Thanks.
    [/quote]Several years ago I obtained MacOS 7.X.X from http://www.shrevesystems.com/ I had to call their 800 number to see if they even had it.
    [/quote]

Thanks all. So I guess I do need to have Mac OS on there. I think the firmware tells the machine to look at Mac OS for boot instructions. Damnit. Now I have a crap-ass-slow PPC with Mac OS 9 and nothing to do 'till I can track down an OS9 cd (preferably OS7...from what I understand it needs a lot less space).