Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Linux Boot and SuSE trouble - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Linux Boot and SuSE trouble

Re:Linux Boot and SuSE trouble

Mount your Fedora partition to a folder in SuSE.

Code:

mkdir /fedora
    mount /dev/hda3 /fedora

Then go to /fedora/boot/grub/ and open grub.conf (or menu.lst) That is the configuration grub file for Fedora. Look at what is says for booting Fedora, and just copy and paste it on your /boot/grub/grub.conf on SuSE.

You can do it all from inside SuSE without going into the net.
    I did as you said, but I couldn't find "grub.conf" or "menu.lst".

This is what I found:

Code:
    john@linux:~> su
    Password:
    linux:/home/John # cd /fedora/boot/grub/
    linux:/fedora/boot/grub # dir
    total 248
    drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root         4096 2004-02-15 14:26 .
    drwxr-xr-x    3 root     root         4096 2004-02-15 14:32 ..
    -rw-r--r--    1 root     root        11008 2003-08-18 09:05 e2fs_stage1_5
    -rw-r--r--    1 root     root        10000 2003-08-18 09:05 fat_stage1_5
    -rw-r--r--    1 root     root         9024 2003-08-18 09:05 ffs_stage1_5
    -rw-r--r--    1 root     root        11200 2003-08-18 09:05 jfs_stage1_5
    -rw-r--r--    1 root     root         9440 2003-08-18 09:05 minix_stage1_5
    -rw-r--r--    1 root     root        12832 2003-08-18 09:05 reiserfs_stage1_5
    -rw-r--r--    1 root     root          512 2003-08-18 09:05 stage1
    -rw-r--r--    1 root     root       130765 2003-08-18 09:05 stage2
    -rw-r--r--    1 root     root         8672 2003-08-18 09:05 vstafs_stage1_5
    -rw-r--r--    1 root     root        12744 2003-08-18 09:05 xfs_stage1_5
    linux:/fedora/boot/grub #
    SO: I can't figure out EXACTLY what I need to put in the /boot/grub/grub.conf on SuSE. Do you see my problem? I know it must be frustrating for you who are trying to help me, but I am at a total loss. I understand that I need to configure grub in SuSE to recognize Fedora, but I really don't understand how I can fix it.

I also know that I don't need the Internet to do the things you ask, but when I'm foreced to go back and forth, trying something, getting stuck, and having to get back online to try to find an answer to THAT problem, then I need to shut down SuSE, boot Windows, get online, put the problem, wait for an anwer, shut down windows, boot up SuSE (which takes FOREVER) and then try that... do you see my delema? I'm seriously not trying to be a pain in the ass, but I'm also seriously considering giving up on Linux altogether...

Anyway, that's where I'm at. Stuck and frustrated...

BTW, I used YaST to fully install the Gnome desktop, hoping that I would find the same internet configuration tool I had under fedora, but now I only find Qinternet. When I try to dial in to the internet with Qinterent under Gnome I get the EXACT same problem with the computer clogging up . I ran top, but couldn't isolate what process was chewing up my processor. In fact, none seemed to be, and top ran like shit too. Everything runs like shit until I can finally close out Qinternet or Kinternet. Then, just like that... everything is smooth again....... ???

Well, hopefully someone knows what the hell is going on.

Thanks again for your help... I'll keep trying if you do...

Peace.

John

PS...

I am TOTALLY willling to get rid of SuSE if I can get Fedora back up and running. I don't want to start over with Fedora if I don't have to, but I will if I must....

I'm pretty certain SuSE isn't for me, and I think I would have to have much greater understanding of linux before I can get it to work with my hardware. I just think SuSE hates my modem. I don't have the right driver or whatever, and I think it is beyond my skill sets to get it figured out. Get me Fedora back, and I'll can SuSE. LONG LIVE THE RED HAT!

I think perhaps you have a buggy driver on SuSE. Perhaps you can compile the drier from source?

Try looking for grub.conf under /fedora/etc/

hello,

1. boot off the fedora CD in resue mode, this should be an option.
    2. mount the partition that fedora is installed on, e.g. mkdir /fed[/b] and then mount -t ext3 /dev/hda3 /fed
    3. CD to /fed
    4. run grub-install --root-directory=/boot/grub /dev/hda

hopefully that will work, if not then it should give some meaninfull information.

Code:
    1. boot off the fedora CD in resue mode,  this should be an option.
    2.  mount the partition that fedora is installed on, e.g. mkdir /fed[/b] and then mount -t ext3 /dev/hda3 /fed
    3.  CD to /fed
    4.  run grub-install --root-directory=/boot/grub /dev/hda
    Is this all correct? Because it looks to me that you have an errant [/b] tag in there after the "mkdir /fed"
    Anyway, I left it out... and followed your procedure, this is what I got:

Code:
    Probing devices to guess BIOS drives. This may take a long time.
    cmp: /boot/grub/boot/grub/stage1: No such file or directory
    The file /boot/grub/boot/grub/stage1 not read correctly
    sh-2.05b#
    Hmmm.. Can I try to upgrade with the fedora intall disk and not partition or format the drive? Would that work?

You have to do a chroot before reinstalling grub that way.

1. boot off the fedora CD in resue mode, this should be an option.
    2. mount the partition that fedora is installed on, e.g. mkdir /fed and then mount -t ext3 /dev/hda3 /fed
    2.5 chroot /fed
    3. CD to /
    4. run grub-install --root-directory=/boot/grub /dev/hda

Trickster,

I did what you suggested and added the chroot /fed step, I got the exact same result as my last post...

Try doing the same, but on the last step, just do grub-install /dev/hda

[quote author=Linux Looser link=board=1;threadid=8707;start=0#msg78904 date=1077375777]
    <snip>

Hmmm.. Can I try to upgrade with the fedora intall disk and not partition or format the drive? Would that work?
    [/quote]

i can not think of any reason why it wouldn't

Ok, but would it intall OVER the original... would I still have all the configurations I previously set up? I can't imagine I would....