Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Linux Boot and SuSE trouble

Re:Linux Boot and SuSE trouble

it will be in the mail tonight!! I swear!! It is packed up and read to go, but actually getting to the post office is the pain. I hope it will be abel to do all that...

Don't worry about it!

Whenever you get the time... do you think it will help my fedora problem?

Allright. I think you just need to modify your grub.conf to add a link to the fedora kernel, like PBHarris implied.
    For example,

Code:
    default=1
    timeout=10

title fedora(2.6.1-1.131)
            root (hd0,0)
            kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.1-1.131 ro root=/dev/hda3
            initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.1-1.131.img

title suse 2.4.22
            root (hd0,0)
            kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.22 ro root=/dev/hda6
    hdh=ide-scsi
            initrd /boot/initrd-2.4.22.img

title posOS
    rootnoverify (hd0,0)
    chainloader +1
    Make sure that the name of the kernel is correct.

I'm a bit confused how to add that to my grub configuration.???

First off, I need to figure out how to access the internet with SuSE 9. KDE (3.2) installed. If I can't get online, then all I do is go back and forth booting and rebooting. PAIN in the ARSE. The only way I solve this is to get online in linux.

I configured my modem, It is recognized and appears to be functioning in Linux, but I can't find a way to configure it to dialup to my ISP.

Whenever I try to use Kdial or Qdial (I think that's what they are...) everything slows down and gets VERY jerky and nothing happens. GGGrrrrrrrr.......

I'll post this complaint seperately, but if either of you have any ideas, I'd definately welcome them.... Thanks...

Signed,

Whacked on Windows ???

I've never used SuSE, so I don't know.

You need to edit your grub.conf. Make it similar to what PBHarris posted. Your windows and SuSE partitions already work good, so you just need to add something like this:

Code:
    title Fedora
    root (hd0,2)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-whatevermykerneliscalled ro root=/dev/hda3 
    initrd /boot/myinitrdimage
    You can probably mount the Fedora partition under SuSE, so you can look at the /boot folder on it and see what your kernel and initrd image are called.

Or you can open the /boot/grub.grub.conf on that partition, and just copy the entry it has for Fedora

When you say Kdial, do you mean KPPP? It should setup your access without much fuss.

Also try plugging in your isp IP numbers in /etc/resolv file.

[quote author=trickster link=board=1;threadid=8707;start=0#msg78825 date=1077241389]
    I've never used SuSE, so I don't know.

You need to edit your grub.conf. Make it similar to what PBHarris posted. Your windows and SuSE partitions already work good, so you just need to add something like this:

Code:
    title Fedora
    root (hd0,2)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-whatevermykerneliscalled ro root=/dev/hda3 
    initrd /boot/myinitrdimage
    You can probably mount the Fedora partition under SuSE, so you can look at the /boot folder on it and see what your kernel and initrd image are called.

Or you can open the /boot/grub.grub.conf on that partition, and just copy the entry it has for Fedora

[/quote]

your boot image is wrong. my Slack wouldn't load either... try instead of vmlinuz

vmLinuz .. for some reason it booted! whoo! or load up your fedora cd to kernels cp -fi the kernel image to your /boot directory and try to add it to the grub conf. maybe it will work.

vmlinuz-whateveryourkerneliscalled isn't the name of the kernel, it's just an example. vmlinuz is also the standard kernel name, not vmLinuz.

Make sure that the name of the kernel is correct.
    I'm not sure I understand how to find out what exactly my kernel name is or what version I have. I used the install disks pbharris sent me a while back, but since then I've used up2date and Symantic to upgrade a lot of stuff. I think I updated the kernel at some point as well...

When you say Kdial, do you mean KPPP? It should setup your access without much fuss.

Also try plugging in your isp IP numbers in /etc/resolv file.
    I'm not in SuSE, so I can't be certain, but I think it was called KInternet maybe. There was also one called QInternet. They were in a subfolder in the Internet section of my little green iguana in the bottom left corner... Anyway, I configured the ISP dialup info into YaST, but when I try to "dial in" the computer freezes up and it takes forever to kill the program.
    Check out this thread for more info on that problem:
    http://www.linuxjunior.org/yabbse/in...;threadid=8729

I'm not sure I understand how to find out what exactly my kernel name is or what version I have. I used the install disks pbharris sent me a while back, but since then I've used up2date and Symantic to upgrade a lot of stuff. I think I updated the kernel at some point as well...
    Mount your Fedora partition to a folder in SuSE.

Code:
    mkdir /fedora
    mount /dev/hda3 /fedora
    Then go to /fedora/boot/grub/ and open grub.conf (or menu.lst) That is the configuration grub file for Fedora. Look at what is says for booting Fedora, and just copy and paste it on your /boot/grub/grub.conf on SuSE.

You can do it all from inside SuSE without going into the net.