Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Who's The Fastest Growing Linux Distro?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who's The Fastest Growing Linux Distro?

Mentor

Who's The Fastest Growing Linux Distro?

Which Linux distribution is the most popular? For many players in the open source realm, that answer depends on which part of the globe is counting, and how
    http://www.internetnews.com/ent-news...le.php/3313211

Re:Who's The Fastest Growing Linux Distro?

[quote author=cloverm link=board=19;threadid=8702;start=0#msg78641 date=1076971877]
    Which Linux distribution is the most popular? For many players in the open source realm, that answer depends on which part of the globe is counting, and how
    http://www.internetnews.com/ent-news...le.php/3313211
    [/quote]

Well it is most definitely not SCO Linux. The smart money is on WIn2000 Leaked Edition!

just out of my head rattling away I would have to say gentoo or fedora.

Kind Mastermind

You know, it's been a while since I've read anything about Debian. This article says that Debian will have the 2.6 kernel, SELinux updates, an improved installer, etc. That is awesome news, in my opinion. I can't wait until they finalize things and implement the newest stable release!

Cheers

Remember they are including Debian-based distros as well....why I dont know. Slackware needs mainstream support (ie Ximian doesnt have a tgz package for Evolution) before I think it'll get a nod as a "popular" Linux distro. Slack as a underground distro is still fine with me though.

Kind Mastermind

[quote author=coltrane link=board=19;threadid=8702;start=0#msg78789 date=1077192023]
    Remember they are including Debian-based distros as well....why I dont know. Slackware needs mainstream support (ie Ximian doesnt have a tgz package for Evolution) before I think it'll get a nod as a "popular" Linux distro. Slack as a underground distro is still fine with me though.

[/quote]

The internal battle that rages within me is not between good and evil. No, instead, it's between which distro do I love more, Slackware or Debian. Oh, you most foul of struggles, why do you haunt me so?!

Coltrane, I too wish that Slack got more support from the greater community. It's a shame that such an elegantly simple distro gets looked upon with such utter disdain. One of these days, my friend, one of these days.

Cheers

[quote author=stryder144 link=board=19;threadid=8702;start=0#msg78794 date=1077201226]
    [quote author=coltrane link=board=19;threadid=8702;start=0#msg78789 date=1077192023]

[/quote]

The internal battle that rages within me is not between good and evil. No, instead, it's between which distro do I love more, Slackware or Debian. Oh, you most foul of struggles, why do you haunt me so?!

Coltrane, I too wish that Slack got more support from the greater community. It's a shame that such an elegantly simple distro gets looked upon with such utter disdain. One of these days, my friend, one of these days.

Cheers
    [/quote]

I know this is an awkward reply but I also have the same "internal battle rages" to choose between Slack and Debian although I have used Debian a bit longer than Slackware. I hope Debian doesn't change the installer as I have been having bad luck with the new one. ;D But I do want them to upgrade all their software and I am awaiting Sarge.
    I am also awaiting Slackware 9.2 or 10. ;D I do like the looks of 9.1 but um...I want Slack 10!

slackware is a great distro... it's one of the cleanest linux systems out there IMO.

i used slack 8 for a couple of months and i learned a lot from it, and i really enjoyed how clean everything was organised. I eventually moved on to Linux From Scratch because i wanted to learn more but if it wasn't for LFS i probably would've used Slackware for a long time.

these days i use Fedora... i don't wanna spend a lot of time configuring or working on my system these days and fedora is very clean as well. it's easy to configure, yum is great (if you use good mirrors and external repo's) and they're usually pretty cutting edge (FC1 has a 2.4 kernel with NTPL for instance) without actually being bleeding edge

This is a late reply but can you suggest a good LFS tutorial, preferably online?

Thanks!

[quote author=shebang link=board=19;threadid=8702;start=0#msg81307 date=1081473225]
    This is a late reply but can you suggest a good LFS tutorial, preferably online?

Thanks!
    [/quote]

Try http://lfs.oregonstate.edu/lfs/stable.html.