Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Connecting to Internet in SuSE 9 w/ KDE.

Thread: Connecting to Internet in SuSE 9 w/ KDE.

Connecting to Internet in SuSE 9 w/ KDE.

I need to figure out how to access the internet with SuSE 9. KDE (3.2) installed. If I can't get online in Linux, then all I do is go back and forth booting and rebooting. PAIN in the ARSE. The only way I solve this is to get online in linux. I currently have a dual boot system with XP and SuSE 9 installed. I have to boot windows to get online and to get to LJR to help solve my problems!

I configured my modem in YaST... Linux recognized it and it appears to be functioning in Linux as far as I can tell, but I can't find a way to configure it to dialup to my ISP.

Whenever I try to use Kdial or Qdial (I think that's what they are...) everything slows down and gets VERY jerky and nothing happens.Is there an internet connectiong consol similar to the one in RedHat or Fedora?

GGGrrrrrrrr.......

Thanks...

John

Re:Connecting to Internet in SuSE 9 w/ KDE.

[quote author=Linux Looser link=board=1;threadid=8729;start=0#msg78817 date=1077233855]
    I need to figure out how to access the internet with SuSE 9. KDE (3.2) installed. If I can't get online in Linux, then all I do is go back and forth booting and rebooting. PAIN in the ARSE. The only way I solve this is to get online in linux. I currently have a dual boot system with XP and SuSE 9 installed. I have to boot windows to get online and to get to LJR to help solve my problems!

I configured my modem in YaST... Linux recognized it and it appears to be functioning in Linux as far as I can tell, but I can't find a way to configure it to dialup to my ISP.

Whenever I try to use Kdial or Qdial (I think that's what they are...) everything slows down and gets VERY jerky and nothing happens.Is there an internet connectiong consol similar to the one in RedHat or Fedora?

GGGrrrrrrrr.......

Thanks...

John
    [/quote]

You should have a little icon in the tray that looks like a plug. Click on it and you should connect. Its called KInternet. You can also access it under your internet menu in the "start" menu. Its identified as "dial up".

I assume that you gave YaST your ISP phone number and account information?

[quote author=cga link=board=1;threadid=8729;start=0#msg78818 date=1077236823]
    You should have a little icon in the tray that looks like a plug. Click on it and you should connect. Its called KInternet. You can also access it under your internet menu in the "start" menu. Its identified as "dial up".

I assume that you gave YaST your ISP phone number and account information?
    [/quote]

I gave YaST the proper infor to dial up, but when I click on the plug, like I said, my computer becomes heavily bogged down... for example, my mouse cursor become frozen and moves in bursts with long periods of doing doning... VERY jerky. Once I'm finally able to get the mouse cursor over the X to close the program, as soon as it closes my mouse moves again and the system is back to normal.

There is no dial tone, there is no evidence to suggest that the computer is actually dialing out at all. The LED on my modem shows absolutely NO activity.

As I said, I configured my dialup properties in YaST. I don't know what else to do, but I have to get online in Linux to solve my bigger problem of getting my Fedora install to boot.

run "top" in a console next time you run kinternet and see whats cranking up cpu utilization. What kind of modem are you using as well? Actiontek?

It's a Xircom PCMCIA Ethernet/LAN and 56k Mondem Combination...

do just run "top" in the CLI?

[quote author=Linux Looser link=board=1;threadid=8729;start=0#msg78851 date=1077274637]
    It's a Xircom PCMCIA Ethernet/LAN and 56k Mondem Combination...

do just run "top" in the CLI?

[/quote]

do mean the Xircom® RealPort™ CardBus Ethernet 10/100 + Modem 56 GlobalACCESS™ Adapter ????

and

"yes"

RealPort CardBus Ethernet 10/100 + Modem 56

Model: RBEM566-100

I will have to run top later as I have to get to work...I'll post the results...

I've never had trouble with this modem in Redhat 8 or Fedora Core...