Thread: Ejecting CDs

Mentor

Ejecting CDs

It's only been an annoyance until now, but it has become a major problem.

The problem is that I cannot eject a CD without totally shutting the program down that was reading from it (sometimes it's the freakin' kernel!).

I have a program that came on 2 CDs and I'm trying to install it through wine. Everything goes well until it asks for CD 2. I'm trying to eject CD 1 out, but no go. I have to completely exit wine to get the CD out. At this point the installer is stopped so inserting CD 2 does no good. The installer can only be started from CD 1.

There must be a solution to this. Can someone help?

Re:Ejecting CDs

Thats when you use your paper clip in that little hole ;D

if you do that can you mount the other CD?

Mentor

[quote author=countach44 link=board=2;threadid=8683;start=#msg78427 date=1076634254]
    if you do that can you mount the other CD?
    [/quote]

No. That's the problem!

Good Guru

what program is still accessing the cdrom drive? Perhaps the program isnt exiting properly.

Mentor

[quote author=Slave Copy link=board=2;threadid=8683;start=0#msg78480 date=1076782947]
    what program is still accessing the cdrom drive? Perhaps the program isnt exiting properly.
    [/quote]

I know it is wine accessing the CD-ROM, but I do not want to shut wine down, I need to keep the installer running, only swap CDs. But how can I do that?

could you set wine to use a symlink as the cdrom, then rm the symlink and point it to the second cd? (maybe it will let you unmount maybe you could just rip the cd)

Mentor

[quote author=gorn link=board=2;threadid=8683;start=#msg78643 date=1076973894]
    could you set wine to use a symlink as the cdrom, then rm the symlink and point it to the second cd? (maybe it will let you unmount maybe you could just rip the cd)
    [/quote]

That might be a work around, I'll give it a shot. But I still think that there must be (or needs to be) an easier way to swap CDs in Linux.

What about typing "eject" as root user? That may take precedence over the lock the process has on it.

Yeah that is a freakin huge annoyance. Sure it's handy for the case where you accidentally bump the eject button while installing something, but for 99% of the time it's something that's gone wrong and you can't get your CD out.