Thread: I just might get me a Powerbook

I just might get me a Powerbook

I have been contemplating getting an apple for a couple months now, and I saved up some money, and I think im going to go for it.

If my parents lend me half, I will be able to order in a month or so, maybe even a bit less. If not, ill have to wait a couple months and get an Ibook -- I really want the powerbook, but if my parents dont lend me the money, I will have to go ibook due to lack of a fast computer now. (I sold my athlon for some $350)

Re:I just might get me a Powerbook

Let us know how you find it. Myself, I don't know that I could get used to how a Mac works. I've played with a few of them in the labs and such, and it just seems so....awkward.

i would recommend to not by an ibook and save up for a powerbook the extra money would be worth it

though, im still not 100% sure, I am 90% sure my dad will lend me half, so I might be ordering it within the next couple weeks, if im lucky

either way, it will be $1584.82 after Edu discount and 6.5% sales tax

I just ordered it! and I was $0.10 off what the price would be after taxes

anyways, here are teh specs:
    1GHz G4
    256MB ram (ill be changing that shortly)
    40GB hard drive
    Airport extreme
    12.1" 1024x768 display

im happy tonight

Congrats TeRG. I hope you enjoy your PB. :-) You'll be happy you didn't get an iBook.

[me=praetorian]hugs his PB [/me]

it shipped!!!!! should be here within 5 days apple said. I have to check back later for the details (the exact day -- i have to hang around the house that day) and whatnot

good stuff but i went with the ibook, i think you get more for your money, like the one i bought is pretty much the same price for the powerbook but i get more hardware from it, my ibook is a..

933MHz G4
    640MB ram
    60GB harddrive
    14" 1024x768 display

anyway the apple notebooks are great nonetheless, the only thing that my ibook couldnt make me happy with is linux isnt fullly supported on it yet (need a new yellowdog release) since mac os x wasnt all that it was hyped up to be.

[quote author=burntash link=board=11;threadid=8651;start=0#msg78342 date=1076514368]
    good stuff but i went with the ibook, i think you get more for your money, like the one i bought is pretty much the same price for the powerbook but i get more hardware from it, my ibook is a..

933MHz G4
    640MB ram
    60GB harddrive
    14" 1024x768 display

anyway the apple notebooks are great nonetheless, the only thing that my ibook couldnt make me happy with is linux isnt fullly supported on it yet (need a new yellowdog release) since mac os x wasnt all that it was hyped up to be.
    [/quote]

yours is nice and there is a few differences between them that made me go power rather then i.
    A. bigger cache (512KB rather then 256KB)
    B. aluminum case (looks better, potentially even stronger, though it dents easily)
    C. the name. (powerbook makes it sound like some beast of a machine IMO -- though, mine is more of a standard configuration.)
    D. more onboard memory. (256MB rather then 128MB, so that I can expand to 768MB rather then 640MB - -though there is 1GB sticks, those are expensive)

oh, and i like the 12" best because of portability, though there is a model that size on both ends.

for the most part thats it, and to a lot of people those may not be valid, but they are too me.