Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Community! Community! Community!

Thread: Community! Community! Community!

Hybrid View

Community! Community! Community!

Remember that video of Ballmer shouting "developers! developers! developers!"?

How about getting a video of Torvalds shouting "Community! Community! Community!"?

You see, there are three people in my school that took their first dip in the pool of Linux today -- and after playing with it for hours and relearning some of the old DOS commands that work with linux, and learning some new linux commands, they loved it. As long as I can keep them interested, that is a victory for me. Especially because these guys have hated Microsoft all along, but didnt want to switch to apple and untill the last couple months when I have been showing them some things I can do in Linux, had no idea there WAS another choice.

What amazes me is the community effort that it has taken to get Linux off the ground, and now It will go after Windows for desktop I think. I perfer it for a desktop, esp. with KDE or Gnome for new uers.

Re:Community! Community! Community!

make wineX a standard package in most distros and it should be fine, also make wineX faster...

Why would you want to run Windoze programs on Linux?

It amazes me that people want to use win apps in linux.

[quote author=GhostDawg link=board=13;threadid=8643;start=0#msg78015 date=1075869393]
    Why would you want to run Windoze programs on Linux?

It amazes me that people want to use win apps in linux.

[/quote]

Agreed. It looks awkward and out of place. I've gotten along just fine without it for 4 years now.

If I wanted a good way to run Windows software I would run Windows...

Wine and WineX are EVIL, especially the latter one.

We need more integrated applications and less CLI for Linux to appeal to average joes.

People who insist on betting the future of Linux on WINE annoy me, because they don't remember what happened to OS/2 when they tried something similar. They are forgetting that they are removing the incintive to code portable apps using fine technologies like .NET.

The main limiting factor for most younger peeps is the lack of gaming support in linux. Yes there are some games that have linux ports integrated, but when you compare the overall number of new games for windows and new games for linux, there is an obvious disparity. Wine and WineX help fill the void out there till game makers start releasing more linux ports as part of a standard release.

The problem right now is that DirectX is more of the standard than OpenGL, if more games were coded using OpenGL, there'd be more linux ports.

[quote author=countach44 link=board=13;threadid=8643;start=0#msg78039 date=1075922601]
    The problem right now is that DirectX is more of the standard than OpenGL, if more games were coded using OpenGL, there'd be more linux ports.
    [/quote]

Or SDL. If developer swould use SDL instead of DirectX they could get jsut about all the same benifits and have easy ports to Linux, BSD, Windows, Mac, and home consoles.