Thread: Widows media or Real streaming audio/video in Mozilla

Widows media or Real streaming audio/video in Mozilla

Is there a Mozilla plugin that will allow Linux users to view or listen to streaming content in Windows Media or Real. I currently use Kaffeine 0.4.1 as my main video player, simply because I couldn't get Mplayer to work properly. I have RealPlayer 8 installed, but it doesn't work for sh--. I would like to be able to listen to streaming audio and watch the occasional Naked News broadcast now and then... Don't make me boot up Windows! :-X

Also, somewhat related, I have Phillips USB speakers that Linux detected in the boot procedure, but they are CRANKED! Very loud and can't turn them down... any ideas?

Thanks again!

Re:Widows media or Real streaming audio/video in Mozilla

There is a plugin for mozilla for streaming video format, that uses Mplayer. Realplayer will allow you also to stream .rm files with it.

If you are having installing Mplayer or Realplayer, post your error and maybe we can try to help you.

I have them both installed. When I try to play .rm content, it just buffers forever and never connects. I know I have a slow internet connect...like three-toed sloth slow... but I should still get something. As far as mplayer goes, whenever I try to play a .mpeg, .avi, etc. I get an error.

I installed gstreamer

Any knowledge of this. I just did it, and Mozilla says it's enabled, but I don't know what formats it supports....

I'll look for some more content, and when I get an error, I'll post it here....

What works for me is Totem with the xine backend. I just choose to open it in Totem and rm and wma files stream well.

[quote author=Linux Looser link=board=1;threadid=8640;start=0#msg77989 date=1075848115]
    I have them both installed. When I try to play .rm content, it just buffers forever and never connects. I know I have a slow internet connect...like three-toed sloth slow... but I should still get something. As far as mplayer goes, whenever I try to play a .mpeg, .avi, etc. I get an error.
    [/quote]
    What is the error?

And what distro? How did you install mplayer? Did you install the win32 codecs?