Thread: Could not mount partition in Yast

Hybrid View

Could not mount partition in Yast

I'm new to Linux, one of those windows users taking the leap of faith into Linux land. I'm trying to install Suse 9.0 on my laptop and get stuck when it's mounting partitions. I'm getting the error message: "Could not mount partition /dev/hda2 to /mnt/" It goes on to say to continue if you know what you're doing (which I don't right now), or reboot and retry the install. I'm retrying it a couple of times now and get the same error.

Is this a comon problem, or an easy fix for this error? Or is there a good Linux support knowledge base you think would be able to help me with this error.

Thanks.

Trevor

Re:Could not mount partition in Yast

You might try rebooting and installing again. The only time I've seen this (not saying it's the only time it happens) is when it starts to install packages, and then the user has to restart the installing process. When it starts the installation of packages it mounts the drive, but doesn't unmount it if you have to go back and change things.

For some reason sysresccd says not to mount anything directly to /mnt/ , maybe you should mount it to a subdir ie /mnt/foo/ (www.sysresccd.org)

Thanks for your replies.

Actually, I'm here installing Suse 9.0 and was always getting that error on the installation. I tried rebuilding the partition table, and nothing worked. Finally I'm installing 8.2 and it looks like it's going. I've had problems installing 9.0 a while back when I was trying it on an old pc. Thanks for you help anyways.

BTW, That System Rescue program looks pretty informative and I'll keep it for reference...thanks.

Have you guys used clam antivirus before.....recommendations?

i have that problem in 8.2 any sugestions

You could try to rebuild the partition table on the hard drive. If you have a windows boot disk and run fdisk. Delete all partitions and then run fdisk /mbr this will rebuild the partition table. Then try booting off of the suse disk/floppies and reinstall.

During setup change the file system from reiser to ext2 and it will mount. simply click the "partitioning" tab choose the reiser file system to edit and then choose ext2 from the drop down list. a little late but hope this helps!

[quote author=shagnthings link=board=1;threadid=8607;start=0#msg77737 date=1075442916]
    I'm new to Linux, one of those windows users taking the leap of faith into Linux land. I'm trying to install Suse 9.0 on my laptop and get stuck when it's mounting partitions. I'm getting the error message: "Could not mount partition /dev/hda2 to /mnt/" It goes on to say to continue if you know what you're doing (which I don't right now), or reboot and retry the install. I'm retrying it a couple of times now and get the same error.

Is this a comon problem, or an easy fix for this error? Or is there a good Linux support knowledge base you think would be able to help me with this error.

Thanks.

Trevor
    [/quote]

jkirkly... i love you and i want to have your baby... you just saved me sooo much time and frustration.

Thank you very much.

glad it worked for you...have a great Linux experience

Good Guru

[quote author=jreeve0805 link=board=1;threadid=8607;start=0#msg91844 date=1105661607]
    jkirkly... i love you and i want to have your baby... you just saved me sooo much time and frustration.

Thank you very much.
    [/quote]

Can anyone think of a more glowing vote of confidence?

I sure can't.