Thread: VoIP

VoIP

Has anyone played with VoIP under Linux ? If so, can you tell me what you found, and perhaps suggest what VoIP software you found works best?

Regards,

Dwain.

Re:VoIP

I tried ohphone/openh323. Ohphone is a command-line tool. There are GUI Front-ends available. Gnomemeeting seems nice and also linphone. I tried several codecs I can't remember the name of the one I settled on. But it worked pretty good from linux to linux. That was over a 128kbit/s upstream connection. The bandwidth used was about 64kbit/s max when you wanted really good audio quality. However, I never really got things to work properly when the other party used some non-linux client. But that was probably their fault

I've had good luck with KT&T.

However, I never really got things to work properly when the other party used some non-linux client. But that was probably their fault
    If you were trying to contact someone else outside your network, it should work with any client. The problems I see most is that ISPs don't support the protocol. An asterisk server and the "ser" proxy are almost a must to connect outside your network without using SIPs provided from your ISP or third-party VoIP company.

[quote author=Master Copy link=board=2;threadid=8606;start=0#msg77741 date=1075462673]

However, I never really got things to work properly when the other party used some non-linux client. But that was probably their fault
    If you were trying to contact someone else outside your network, it should work with any client. The problems I see most is that ISPs don't support the protocol. An asterisk server and the "ser" proxy are almost a must to connect outside your network without using SIPs provided from your ISP or third-party VoIP company.
    [/quote]

I got the connection alright. It was just that the quality was unbearably bad. It was litterally shaky - there was a weird tremolo on the voice - and you heard a lot of static. And I did try several codecs. I'm sure with some trouble-shooting you could get this to work but my windows-using friends seem to be very impatient and so we went back to good ol' VoP (Voice over phone)