Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who has to work today?

Mentor

Re: Who has to work today?

Maccorin, And everyone else:

http://www.craigslist.org/

This is sorta Open Source help wanted. Many cities, mucho trabajo amigos!

We have been looking a Austin, TX and there are many, many, many tech jobs there. Pick your city, start shipping those resumes.

You can buy a car, house or maybe find the love of your life on Craigs List.
    Reminds me of the old community BBS days.

Wow, and here I though that craigslist was only for the San Fran area. I guess my eyes never got the right side of the page where the alternate cities are listed.
    jro - http://jeff.robbins.ws
    Linux counter#:213782
    GnuPG ID: 406238E7

Re: Who has to work today?

I got stuck being on call the entire holiday........Web Servers running windows dont take a holiday from crashing I can assure you of that.

Heh, same here Zen. I had to wear a friggin beeper all weekend and I had to respond to anything that came in. The best part was tha I only had one thing come up all weekend, but I could put it off until Monday. The funny thing was that the alarm got set to beep, so when it went off I had no idea what was beeping. It has this loud piercing beep that seemed to come from everywhere. It would only beep every 5 minutes too, just to confuse me. It probably took me 30 minutes to figure out where the beeping was coming from.

Associate
    Hey for all those who HAD to work on Friday (Like Myself) I feel your pain!!! But to make everyone laugh here's my story:

~~The Day after Thanksgiving!!~~

To give all a background I build Servers/Dialers my Friday consisted of having to await delivery of packages from FedEx/UPS @ 10am, to find out by the time I got to work they already came and went. The next hour I frantically banged head against desk cursing UPS and my computer vendors to bloody hell!!!! After the crying I call UPS pleeding "PLEASE Mr. BrownMan Re-Delever my packages!!!" To no suprize I get the common policy script answer "It is a holiday our staff is on holiday routes you'll just have to wait till MONDAY" After pulling a few hairs and banging the phone on the table UPS listened to my cries of pitty and decided to re-deliever. Things WOULDA been fine if UPS didn't screw up AGAIN. I'm expecting 10 packages all together to build 2 dialers and a server this friday..... When UPS arrives all I get is 2 FRICKEN packages..... I beg the UPS guy again PLEASE find the other 8 packages and deliever.... UPS Guy: "I'm sorry but your other 8 packages are on another UPS Truck which won't be coming back this way" I then bang head again against desk and proceed to call UPS for the 3rd time. After 7 hours of hassle I finally have all my packages. At this point I should be happy.... But no...... The modified Power Supplies I had ordered were wrong..... So after yelling @ my Vendor I notice that Friday is gone.... I have nothing to show for it... And I still have 2 dialers that need to be shipped Monday.... The Moral of the story is: People are stupid, companies aren't here to help you and..... Your getting old.....

Hope this story lightened up a few people's day :shock: One happy side note though the $300 in 2nd Day air shipping from UPS got refunded YAY!!!!! Happy Boss Happy Boss Happy Boss

......ouch, my head would hurt after a day like that. Especially after all the banging of the head. ;-)

Advisor
    thanks for the jobs link Fatal Error!

unfortunatly all i'm seeing in ORL for tech jobs require >= a year of M$ experience, and i'm one of the few that have been "lucky" enough to land UNIX only jobs.

Mentor
    Maybe its time to move? Start your own business? Nah, the boss would be a double SOB. The EAU is trying to jump on the outsourcing bandwagon.

Advisor
    i saw a homeless midget with no legs while delivering a pizza on friday.

We need more posts like this.