Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Stupid F-----g Mozilla 1.6
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stupid F-----g Mozilla 1.6

Stupid F-----g Mozilla 1.6

That's it... I quit. I have tried SO much to get 1.6 to work with their calendar add-on, and I can't. Here is what I tried...

1) Root install of an RPM that I found online

2) Root install from source (the mozilla installer) into /usr/local/mozilla/ (default install directory) and having a shortcut from my root desktop to the executable, and a shortcut from the user desktop to the executable (assuming that all user specific settings would be contained in the ~/.mozilla/ directory)

3) Root install into my user directory (/home/ron/mozilla/)

4) Root install to /root/mozilla directory, then user install to /home/ron/mozilla

5) User install into my home directory (/home/ron/mozilla/)

Keep in mind, that between all of these I did a complete uninstall of the previous version.

The result is always the same... I can open Mozilla just fine BUT when I go to their website to install the calendar as a user, I get an error that I have no write permissions on the ~/.mozilla/chrome/ directory, even though it is in my home directory. This happens even when I change the permissions on the folder to 777. Root can install with no errors, and view a usable calendar. Sometimes when I install it as a user, it doesn't give me the error, BUT when I click to access the calendar, it comes up and it is completely blank. During the installs where the user's calendar comes up blank, NOTHING works. the only button or menu option that works is "About Calendar" and the button to go to Mozilla's website.

I am at wits end because it worked the other day (for two hours), but as soon as I went to copy the mozilla stuff from my win box to lin box (which I still have yet to work), it crapped out...

I hate this...
    Asus A8V Deluxe Mobo
    AMD Athlon64 X2 4400 -939
    2GB Crucial DDR3200 Dual-Channel
    ATi AiW 9800 Pro 128DDR
    Audigy2 ZS
    Sony DRU-810 DVD+RW DL
    3 x Maxtor MaxLine SATA 160Gb 16Mb Cache
    1 x Maxtor MaxLine SATA 300Gb 16Mb Cache
    1 x Maxtor MaxLine SATA 120Gb 16Mb Cache

Re:Stupid F-----g Mozilla 1.6

Basically, Root can use the calendar, but the regular users cannot, no matter where I install mozilla, what permissions I use. Even performing two installs, in different directories (one for each root and user) I STILL can't get a regular user to have a successful calendar. On the win system, it works great.

While I am here... has anyone moved their win mozilla profile to lin mozilla? Is there some magic to it, or...? I tried it (when my mozilla still worked) but it could not find the profile. I had the same profile name on both systems, but different user names (could this be why? is the user name AND profile name encoded into the files somehow???)
    Asus A8V Deluxe Mobo
    ATi AiW 9800 Pro 128DDR
    Audigy2 ZS
    Sony DRU-810 DVD+RW DL

What a mess...

Well, it is working now, after three days of banging my head on the desk, the walls, and even the monitor...

When I would install the calendar as root, it would work for the root user, but not the regular user. I would then try to install it as the regular user, and get the error "<mozilladirectory>/chrome/" doesn't have write permissions. If you installed Mozilla as root, you must install the calendar as root, or change the permissions of the mozilla folder to yourself, then install it"

This was a problem. The mozilla install directory was /usr/bin/mozilla, and there wasn't a mozilla directory in /usr/bin/, it was just an executable. So then I went to my personal mozilla directory "/home/ron/.mozilla/". I looked at the chrome directory, and it's permissions were fine... 700 if I remember right. However, the "Calendar" directory had 001 permissions. So, the error message had me chasing the wrong thing. The weird thing is that my root users Calendar directory has the same permissions as the regular user, yet it worked for root. I guess permissions may not be all that important when you are root???

My next thing is to try to get my Win Mozilla mail into my Lin Mozilla profile. Now that I think about it though, that might just be a permissions thing too. I'll update when I try it...
    Asus A8V Deluxe Mobo
    ATi AiW 9800 Pro 128DDR
    Audigy2 ZS
    Sony DRU-810 DVD+RW DL

Well, the permissions didn't help with moving my mail over.

One odd thing did happen though... When I installed Mozilla, it was from an RPM that I found somewhere (not a large well-known site). For some reason, that RPM did not include Mozilla Mail. They offered it in a separate RPM. Well, when I installed just Mozilla, all was good (since my last post). I installed the calendar, and all was good. I was jumping up and down at this point WOOHOO!! Then I went to install the Mozilla Mail RPM, and it deleted my Calendar. If I tried to reinstall the Calendar, it would say that the install was successful, but the Calendar was nowhere to be found. The lesson is... DO NOT download and install crap unless it is from a trusted source. As soon as I went to install using Mozilla's Installer, everything is included, and everything works (go figure, right?). I thought it was going to be installing from source, and that is why I avoided it to begin with, as my lack of source compiling experience kind of scared me off. The few times that I have tried to install from source have been unsuccessful nightmares, to say the least... Anyways, I am still trying to find a way to get my WinMoz mail in here... I will try creating the accounts the same way I did on the Win box and see if that helps...
    Asus A8V Deluxe Mobo
    ATi AiW 9800 Pro 128DDR
    Audigy2 ZS
    Sony DRU-810 DVD+RW DL

This will be the last time I post on this subject...

The Mozilla suite is working great. I can't get the mail to move over, so I think I am just going to give up on that. I have tried anything and everything under the sun to get it to work, and still be able to access my profile, to no avail.

Anyways, I guess if I have a few hours to kill, I could forward all of the stuff to myself, but that would be a clusterf$&%...

Lessons learned... Do not use Windows for ANYTHING, DO NOT install RPMs from an unknown source, and always check the permissions of the Calendar directory, not the chrome directory.
    Asus A8V Deluxe Mobo
    ATi AiW 9800 Pro 128DDR
    Audigy2 ZS
    Sony DRU-810 DVD+RW DL

Wouldn't this have been alot less painful if you had gotten the installer from the actual mozilla website? BTW can't you simply export your mail, then import that file into Linux?
    AMD Athlon 2200+ 1.8Ghz
    1280MB PC-3200 CAS2.5 RAM
    ATI Radeon 9600 Pro 128MB AGP
    Western Digital WDC WD2500JB-00FUA0 250GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Seagate ST3200822A 200GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Western Digital WDC WD1200BB-00CAA1 120GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Western Digital WDC WD800BB-00CAA1 80GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Maxtor OneTouch 2HA43R32 1TB 7200 rpm USB 2.0
    D-Link DFE-530TX+ 10/100 NIC
    D-Link DWL-G520 Rev.A
    Debian 5.0r1 Lenny

Yeah, this would have been MUCH less painful if I would have gotten the installer from Mozillla's site. But when I saw that it was a '.tar.gz' file, I said 'Hell no, I will be compiling from source' (because I have never had a source compile succeed), so I searched for an RPM. The funny thing is, after all of that, when I finally downloaded the Mozilla installer, it is a simple binary. Ironic...

Well, I imported to my WinMoz from Outlook (while in Windows) and that seemed to work like a charm (we'll get into this later...) at first, so I just assumed I could copy the stuff from WinMoz to LinMoz and all would be good. I couldn't go into LinMoz and formally 'Import' from my Outlook or WinMoz accounts, as they are on a different partition, and of course, LinMoz can't be aware of the programs installed on the Windows system. You don't have the option of importing from a file; you can only import from other installed programs (so I should have been able to import from Sylpheed, or Evolution, but when I tried to 'Import', it showed no installed programs that I could import from, because none of the mail programs on my Lin system have accounts created on them. However...

I spent nearly two full days trying to get this to work, so I am sure that I will leave something out in this explaination. It is hard to remember exactly everthing that I tried...

My main problem was that I was trying to copy the entire default profile to LinMoz. It makes sense that that didn't work, as I hadn't even run Mozilla Mail in LinMoz, and created accounts yet. So, I guess the way that the 'Mail' directory is tied to the directories above it, prevented that from working. They must be entertwined in some way...

After creating the accounts in LinMoz, I still couldn't just copy the profile from WinMoz to LinMoz. So, I tried to copy just the 'Mail' directory. That didn't work either. My 'Mail' directory has four subdirectories: Local Folders, mail.comcast.net, mail.comcast.net-1, and mail.comcast.net-2 (one for each of my comcast accounts). Keep in mind, that with this paragraph and the above, I had already spend about a day and a half, diddling with permissions, etc. so I was about to throw my computer out of the window... Like I stated before, the files in 'Mail' must be tied in some way to the files in the directories above it... I don't know...

Anyways, in my last ditch effort (this morning), I copied just the subdirectories in the WinMoz 'Mail' folder (Local, and the mail.comcast.net) into the 'Mail' folder in LinMoz. One by one, I copied them over and then opened up LinMoz Mail. My folders were there!! WOOHOO!!!!! Unfortunately, this success was short lived...

When these folders finally appeared in my LinMoz account, I discovered a flaw in WinMoz. Remember that, on my Windows system, I imported my mail into WinMoz (to create the files I would need for LinMoz). In my Outlook account, I have folders of mail. In those folders, some have subdirectories. Well, WinMoz only imported the folders on top of the heirarchy. As an example:
    I have a folder labelled 'Automotive' with subdirectories of 'Info', 'Parts', and 'Online Orders'.

Automotive
    |
    > Info
    |
    > Parts
    |
    > Online Orders

When I imported into WinMoz, the folder names would all be there, BUT if I went into the one of the subdirectories, there would be nothing inside. Only the folder at the top of the tree contained it's information.

So, now I am back in Outlook, getting rid of subdirectories, making each folder a top-level directory, and we will try again...
    Asus A8V Deluxe Mobo
    ATi AiW 9800 Pro 128DDR
    Audigy2 ZS
    Sony DRU-810 DVD+RW DL

So you're telling me you can't export mail to a file from within WinMoz, then put that file on a floppy, boot into Linux, start up LinMoz, and import from the file on the floppy?
    AMD Athlon 2200+ 1.8Ghz
    1280MB PC-3200 CAS2.5 RAM
    ATI Radeon 9600 Pro 128MB AGP
    Western Digital WDC WD2500JB-00FUA0 250GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Seagate ST3200822A 200GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Western Digital WDC WD1200BB-00CAA1 120GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Western Digital WDC WD800BB-00CAA1 80GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Maxtor OneTouch 2HA43R32 1TB 7200 rpm USB 2.0
    D-Link DFE-530TX+ 10/100 NIC
    D-Link DWL-G520 Rev.A
    Debian 5.0r1 Lenny

From what I am looking at, no. I don't even have an export option on WinMoz. Luckily, when you import into WinMoz, it all goes into Local Folders, which can be copied over. Too bad it took so dang long to figure it out... Plus it was a pain getting rid of the subdirectories in Outlook, so that WinMoz would import them correctly...
    Asus A8V Deluxe Mobo
    ATi AiW 9800 Pro 128DDR
    Audigy2 ZS
    Sony DRU-810 DVD+RW DL

Actually, even if you could export from WinMoz to a file, then import the file into LinMoz (which LinMoz can't import a single file), it still wouldn't solve the problem of not being able to import any subdirectories.
    Asus A8V Deluxe Mobo
    ATi AiW 9800 Pro 128DDR
    Audigy2 ZS
    Sony DRU-810 DVD+RW DL