Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Fancy Themes
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fancy Themes

Fancy Themes

I'm just curious- am I the only person who prefers very plain looking GUIs? I set my KDE to use the "Windows" widgets, the color to the old Windows 95-ish look and use the KDE 1 window decorations. It is rather plain, but also very usable and simple. When I ran IceWM, as many of you will recall, I tended to do the same thing, run the classic OS/2 Warp look. Or my Fvwm Motif clone.

Just personal preference, really, but I wonder with all the fancy-shmancy "lickable" interfaces like Liquid and Keramic if I'm just being an old fart.

Re:Fancy Themes

No. You are not the only one. And all this time I thought I was.

Here's how I theme my KDE:

Style = Light - either 2nd or 3rd revision
    Colors = Mist (for Gnome2 apps)
    Window Decorations = Web
    Icons = Reinhardt
    Background = Color Gradient

Do I like more eye candy than this? Absolutely. Dark plastic theme with a black background & Umicons I love, but not at the expense of speed. I can even tell the difference in the slowdown of the system just by adding a background.

But then again, I hit the big 4-0 this year, so maybe it is because I am an old fart!

I like functional designs.

[quote author=saintNiX link=board=6;threadid=8591;start=0#msg77589 date=1075174800]
    ...But then again, I hit the big 4-0 this year, so maybe it is because I am an old fart!
    [/quote]

LOL. I don't hit the big 4-0 until 2005.

[quote author=Lovechild link=board=6;threadid=8591;start=0#msg77609 date=1075228026]
    I like functional designs.
    [/quote]

Me too. I like your outlook on GUI design, LC, overall. We have our diffences in the details, but I think we agree on the Big Picture.

Even when I have my minimalist urges.

I like uniformity.

[quote author=philangatron link=board=6;threadid=8591;start=0#msg77627 date=1075254903]
    I like uniformity.
    [/quote]

Do you mean consistancy?

[quote author=cga link=board=6;threadid=8591;start=0#msg77628 date=1075255105]
    [quote author=philangatron link=board=6;threadid=8591;start=0#msg77627 date=1075254903]
    I like uniformity.
    [/quote]

Do you mean consistancy?
    [/quote]
    erm. yes.
    s/uniformity/consistancy/

I like my themes slick, futuristic, and puurty. Granted, I do a lot of work in a terminal window, but its more or less to awe those Windows zealots.

I'm all for functional, but it has to be tastefully functional. For example, I think Motif is the most goat-sex ugly widget set I've seen in my entire life. Something about that drab grey. I tend to gravitate to sensible themes, usually with a little bit of an orange tint to the widget set (LighthouseBlue, BlueCurve-BerriesAndCream, etc...). Though every now and again I'll mix it up a bit (see my latest in Desktop Screenshot thread for an example ).

What I like:

-Bluecurve
    -Lighthouse Blue
    -QT .NET style (kinda)

What I dislike:

Too minimalistic:
    -Motif
    -Win95
    -fvwm

Too gaudy:
    -Keramik
    -Aqua