Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Re-installing windows!

Re-installing windows!

Had to re-install windows xp what a pain in the arse! 2 1/2hrs man,
    reboot, reboot, reboot, lol! Why u ask, cause I, use it for a few things that I, can't run in linux yet!

Re:Re-installing windows!

I use windows for it's superior divx handling tools. (Audio sync issues have been unheard of on windows for a couple years now (well, unless you use dvd2one or some crappy program I guess) but still are fairly frequent on the dvd::rip mailing list.)

So, I'm curious, which programs have you been unable to find suitable replacements for?

Same, windows is only for media. Linux is for programming and web design.

You fly boys crack me up.

I use Linux for Divx (via Mplayer) and it works great. In fact, it's also how I encode Divx from mpgs and DVD's. I even use mplayer on my Mac (yup, it's been ported) to encode and decode Divx.

Unless you guys are talking about MS_DivX (wmv), I can't see a problem.

[quote author=Ashcrow link=board=25;threadid=8578;start=0#msg78213 date=1076180638]
    You fly boys crack me up.

I use Linux for Divx (via Mplayer) and it works great. In fact, it's also how I encode Divx from mpgs and DVD's. I even use mplayer on my Mac (yup, it's been ported) to encode and decode Divx.

Unless you guys are talking about MS_DivX (wmv), I can't see a problem.
    [/quote]

Why don't you get off your high horse and join the dvd::rip or transcode or mencoder mailing lists sometime? Audio sync issues when encoding divx on linux are still quite present. Maybe 90% of dvds or even 95% or higher never have problems, but those that do.. fucking pain in the arse!

Basically games that linux doesn't support yet!
    That I, need to play now and then!

Why don't you get off your high horse and join the dvd::rip or transcode or mencoder mailing lists sometime? Audio sync issues when encoding divx on linux are still quite present. Maybe 90% of dvds or even 95% or higher never have problems, but those that do.. fucking pain in the arse!
    Have you tried transcode yet? If it's off sync, you fix it by setting it correctly. There are a few here (or were here) that have done this for quite awhile, and haven't had any issues with sync.

[quote author=Master Copy link=board=25;threadid=8578;start=0#msg78271 date=1076301228]
    Have you tried transcode yet? If it's off sync, you fix it by setting it correctly. There are a few here (or were here) that have done this for quite awhile, and haven't had any issues with sync.

[/quote]

Apparently you can't read, because you quoted me mentioning .. Yes, transcode. It works most of the time, but not always.

Why must people find it so difficult to accept that for some things, Linux is behind. Divx encoding has a couple YEARS head start on windows, so this shouldn't be a shocker. If we can't admit there are areas that need improvement, how can we compete?

[quote author=vvx link=board=25;threadid=8578;start=0#msg78281 date=1076309686]
    [quote author=Master Copy link=board=25;threadid=8578;start=0#msg78271 date=1076301228]

Apparently you can't read, because you quoted me mentioning .. Yes, transcode. It works most of the time, but not always.

Why must people find it so difficult to accept that for some things, Linux is behind. Divx encoding has a couple YEARS head start on windows, so this shouldn't be a shocker. If we can't admit there are areas that need improvement, how can we compete?
    [/quote]

Ok first, calm down a bit, and then think about how it is only through widespread use and bug reporting / bug fixing that a software facet improves. The more people use it, the better it gets, and at a faster pace. This is the kind of thing that should be encouraged.

If you want a good example, take a look at the state of the Linux desktop a mere 3 years ago. The only usable browser was Netscape 4.x, rendered in some sort of horrible motif-like widget, KDE was at version 1.x which was little more than a window manager and some basic functionality, and there was absolutely no way to interoperate with MS office. Well now I'm writing this from Epiphany (rendered in my beautiful gtk2 widgets with AA fonts), my girlfriend who's not at all technical is using KDE 3.2 just fine, and the other night me and 3 others passed around a 50 page technical document (.doc) for a school project that went through 3 heavy markups in OOo and 2 in Word without a hitch from anyone. Did these changes come about as a result of people shunning the Linux desktop in favour of the Windows desktop (which was, at the time, clearly superior)? Probably not. It was much more likely the dedicated few who toughed it out and worked hard to improve the situation, even if it was as simple as finding bugs.

So please don't discourage the use of Linux in areas where it still needs work. Your choices are your own, but in this case I happen to agree with Master Copy.[/quote]

Trust me, I appear far less calm than I am. That's what I'm going for.

You're right, and I haven't said anything to suggest otherwise I hope, if you want to use something (I don't care if it's on Linux OR Windows) even though it's not the best (yet) for the job, then go to it. Often times it's more convenient to only use one OS, so if the best tools are available on three OS, you pick one and use the best tools from that one.

That said, my complaint was "You fly boys crack me up." posted by Ashcrow. As if anyone who admits to seeing a purpose for Windows is some sort of nutjob. He attempts to support that statement by pointing out there are linux encoders -- and that the only area that Linux might not be perfect is encoding ms-divx (wmv).

Naturally, I felt my statement was being attacked. So, I backed it up by pointing out that yes, audio sync issues are still in existence on transcode, mencoder, and dvd::rip mailing lists (dvd::rip uses transcode for encoding.)

Master Copy comes and tells me I should try Transcode. Umm.. Isn't that what I had just mentioned having problems?

I'm just not a fan of the attitude that anyone who doesn't use Linux 100% of the time (For whatever reason) isn't elite enough to post to a Linux forum without criticism. Your post didn't come off like that, which is why I felt I'd give you a detailed explanation of my activities in this thread.