Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Re-installing windows! - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Re-installing windows!

Re:Re-installing windows!

Why use WMV? Got plenty of other universal formats out there that work.

To my surprise Xine will read WMV's.

Encoding in WMV is free... Which brings a good question, what are some good free encoders? (for linux or windaz)

[quote author=ASCI_Blue link=board=25;threadid=8578;start=0#msg78297 date=1076372166]
    Why use WMV? Got plenty of other universal formats out there that work.

To my surprise Xine will read WMV's.
    [/quote]

Well, some people think it looks better, but I wouldnt' be caught dead using it.. My favorite codec for encoding is actually ffmpeg's mpeg4, a nice tradeoff between macroblocks and detail.

Good Guru

[quote author=vvx link=board=25;threadid=8578;start=0#msg78281 date=1076309686]
    Apparently you can't read, because you quoted me mentioning .. Yes, transcode. It works most of the time, but not always.

Why must people find it so difficult to accept that for some things, Linux is behind. Divx encoding has a couple YEARS head start on windows, so this shouldn't be a shocker. If we can't admit there are areas that need improvement, how can we compete?
    [/quote]

Actually it is present on Windows. For some time, when a friend first bought his DVD R drive, he had audio sync issues, skipped frames, and a few other errors. After trial and erroro he started to figure out what he was doing wrong. The programs were rarely the problem, more likely the user. From what I gather there are several settings that can affect the quality of the aduio sync. Some DVDs flat out are a bitch to copy. I tried to rip "Boondock Saints" after hearing his plight. Couldnt -- He had windows, myslef linux. Damn near identical rips, about 3-6 frame mis-sync (dependingon the location in the movie).

Master Copy comes and tells me I should try Transcode. Umm.. Isn't that what I had just mentioned having problems?
    Well, I'm really damn sorry. I overlooked it and was only offering some options. I don't think it was terms to be rude.

[quote author=Slave Copy link=board=25;threadid=8578;start=0#msg78567 date=1076878478]

I tried to rip "Boondock Saints" after hearing his plight.

[/quote]

I've got that.

Kind Mastermind

I have to use winxp every now and again. If I was smarter I would figure out how to manually encode an xml file format that the USAF uses. Then, I could get rid of winxp forever. I used to have this bizarre need to play games on my computer. Now, I just think I'll stick to console-based games and ditch the winxp partition.

There are very few things that really requires either operating system. If you use Linux, then you can usually find the right tools to accomplish what you want to accomplish. Same with windows. Sure, windows-based programs might be more robust or more refined, but that's fine. We can work around problems or repartition our computers and install the other os. No need to get bent out of shape about little things.

Cheers

Console game psh, there's always ET.

Going over to console for games is tricky. Mostly because none of them seem to have a readily available mouse or mouse-like controller. Also, it seems that the games are still not as good as some of the ones that are released for PCs (Warcraft, Call of Duty) although YMMV depending on what type of games you enjoy. On the plus side if you are a very avid gamer a consloe may end up being cheaper than trying to keep your PC hardware up date in order to keep up with the latest games (especially if you want to be competitive online). It seems like for what you can spend on upgradeing just your video card you can by a PS2. There is always WineX but again, you may not be lucky enough to have the games you enjoy working acceptably via that means. Games, games, games . . . what great fun they can be.