Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

which version to use
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: which version to use

which version to use

Hi experts,
    which version of redhat will you suggest for a newbie to start off with?
    thanks

Re:which version to use

Well, I'd say the newest version, RedHat 9 I think. You can get a copy with anyone of many nice beginners' books.

I would recomend against RedHat 9. With RH dropping erata support in only a couple months it wouldn't seem like a wise option. If you're acustomed to RedHat, your best bet is Fedora Core 1.

Don't be fooled by the name, Fedora Core is the same thing as RedHat Linux. It's a "community" driven distribution, which means RH can dictate what to or not to include, develops Fedora Core nearly e ntirely on it's own (at least as far as I can see.) The community maintains the Fedora Extra's repository (which isn't used on a default install anyway), Fedora Legacy, and does testing on beta releases..

So, a Fedora Core system is just like RHL, contains all the stuff you're used to from RHL, and if it didn't have a different name you'd think it was RHL.

are you saying that redhat linux will not offer on-line support ??

[quote author=vvx link=board=12;threadid=8575;start=0#msg77504 date=1075088724]
    I would recomend against RedHat 9. With RH dropping erata support in only a couple months it wouldn't seem like a wise option. If you're acustomed to RedHat, your best bet is Fedora Core 1.

Don't be fooled by the name, Fedora Core is the same thing as RedHat Linux. It's a "community" driven distribution, which means RH can dictate what to or not to include, develops Fedora Core nearly e ntirely on it's own (at least as far as I can see.) The community maintains the Fedora Extra's repository (which isn't used on a default install anyway), Fedora Legacy, and does testing on beta releases..

So, a Fedora Core system is just like RHL, contains all the stuff you're used to from RHL, and if it didn't have a different name you'd think it was RHL.
    [/quote]

http://www.redhat.com/software/rhelorfedora/

That'll say far more than I could.

ic.. so where can i get support if i want to use RedHat at home?

Mentor

[quote author=sentme_mail link=board=12;threadid=8575;start=#msg77551 date=1075131896]
    [/quote]

Here ... ;D

[quote author=sentme_mail link=board=12;threadid=8575;start=0#msg77551 date=1075131896]
    [/quote]

I must ask, why the insistence upon RedHat and not Fedora?

I heard Fedora is very buggy. Plus Fedora 2 is coming out soon with the 2.6.1 kernel. KDE 3.2 too? Not sure about KDE 3.2

[quote author=HyBriDJoKeR link=board=12;threadid=8575;start=0#msg77592 date=1075178838]
    I heard Fedora is very buggy. Plus Fedora 2 is coming out soon with the 2.6.1 kernel. KDE 3.2 too? Not sure about KDE 3.2
    [/quote]

People have been saying the same about RH for years.. and RH says about Fedora as "Fedora Core is intended to be a logical upgrade path for previous users of Red Hat Linux whose needs are consistent with the objectives of the Fedora Project." ( http://fedora.redhat.com/about/ )