Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Getting rid of Kazaa..
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting rid of Kazaa..

Getting rid of Kazaa..

Alright, we have this smoothwall router at school. just so you know the distro.

And we are having problems with students using kazaa to download stuff...I checked google to find like 4-5 different ways to stop that with iptables, but all of them basicly had people saying they didnt work.

Does anybody know anything on how to stop it, im really getting tired of downloading at 128Kb/s durring the day from a 640Kb/s line

Re:Getting rid of Kazaa..

The whole school shares a 640Kb/s line? Or is that what you figure is your portion of it?

the whole school shares it. The days my friend and I went around and deleted kazaa off of every computer (75 machines) we were running pretty good..about 512Kb/s for the next week...the internet is hardly used, thats why we got rid of the T1

Get deepfreeze and make them restart after logging off. Or, more simply, block the port kazaa uses...

Eh, I don't especially like kazaa, but I sympathize with file sharers. So, I suggest to let the kazaa users keep using kazaa.

Of course, what you could do is use traffic shaping (something like the wondershaper script) and prioritize packets destined for port 80.

Or, you could get really fancy and assume everyone deserves the same piece of pie. Program a script that adjusts limits as the use adjusts. Let's say your script keeps the total bandwidth usage at 90% or lower. If usage increases over 90%, the script responds by lowering the maximum bandwidth per person allowed until it drops back to 90%.

[quote author=countach44 link=board=4;threadid=8570;start=0#msg77483 date=1075060632]
    Get deepfreeze and make them restart after logging off. Or, more simply, block the port kazaa uses...
    [/quote]
    That is what I would do.
    At school, we have that port blocked by the proxy in the district office (all schools are networked). Deepfreeze is also used. We have never had a problem with Kazaa, as it's blocked by the proxy server (rather efficiently, even the kazaa website is blocked)

AFAIK kazaa switches ports if it cannot connect on one. so i would have to have them block like everyting above 1024 or something like that...

and there is no way in hell im going to let the kazaa users keep using it

send out an email telling them kazaa use bans them from the network, you should see a significant change.

Kazaa uses port 80 if it gets mad. There was a wonderful article on it in linux journal I think it was, I'll see if I can find the article either online or my copy of it.

found it:

http://linuxjournal.com/article.php?sid=6945

[quote author=TeRG link=board=4;threadid=8570;start=0#msg77492 date=1075075644]
    AFAIK kazaa switches ports if it cannot connect on one. so i would have to have them block like everyting above 1024 or something like that...

and there is no way in hell im going to let the kazaa users keep using it
    [/quote]

Yeah, I see what you mean.. your personal internet usage is definetly more important than theres.

Can't you just lock down the windows desktops to the point where users are unable to install programs and unable to run programs they drop in their home directories (whatever windows calls them), effectively limiting the only programs they can run to those installed on the machine by the higher authority?