Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

SCO Goes to Washington in Linux Battle - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SCO Goes to Washington in Linux Battle

Re:SCO Goes to Washington in Linux Battle

I still think it's funny someone wrote a worm just for flooding their network (Mydoom), or so they say.

Sounds like the worm also compromises the machines for sending spam, least that's what I got off the /. discussions.

Plus it uses a keylogger.

nasty if one of us doesn't have the morals and etics to be the better man... but then again some people like taking the law into their own hands.

[quote author=TeRG link=board=13;threadid=8557;start=0#msg77645 date=1075270099]
    I know most people I know would vote IBM.

IBM is a seemingly good natured company, that is known to treat their customers fairly well. They also have a broad spectrum of products.

thats just my $0.02 though.

If it came down to it, and SCO did win, and Linux was no longer allowed to exist in the US and/or we had to pay SCO tax, my next choice would be Apple. I have been playing with the E-Macs at school and i've been loving OSX with its performance and grace.
    [/quote]

If it came down to it, and SCO did win, you would just download linux from a foriegn server. Come on, no mater what happens, do we really think Germany, Russia, Britian, Australia etc are all really going to stop linux development (or try to stop people from doing Linux development) or pay SCO a licensing fee just because our House of Reps said so?

[quote author=tolstoy link=board=13;threadid=8557;start=0#msg77721 date=1075417157]
    [quote author=TeRG link=board=13;threadid=8557;start=0#msg77645 date=1075270099]
    I know most people I know would vote IBM.

IBM is a seemingly good natured company, that is known to treat their customers fairly well. They also have a broad spectrum of products.

thats just my $0.02 though.

If it came down to it, and SCO did win, and Linux was no longer allowed to exist in the US and/or we had to pay SCO tax, my next choice would be Apple. I have been playing with the E-Macs at school and i've been loving OSX with its performance and grace.
    [/quote]

If it came down to it, and SCO did win, you would just download linux from a foriegn server. Come on, no mater what happens, do we really think Germany, Russia, Britian, Australia etc are all really going to stop linux development (or try to stop people from doing Linux development) or pay SCO a licensing fee just because our House of Reps said so?
    [/quote]

Well, there's no way in hell SCO can win on any front. They're leading a doomed battle. HOWEVER, if they did win it would definetly be bad for Linux. Although it would continue development, certainly a number of people would no longer be willing to give their work away for free if SCO could make a $699 per license profit on it. Even if SCO doesn't succeed in collecting the licensing, but instead makes Linux illegal in the US, you'll have less people willing to contribute (perhaps they'd move to one of the bsd's.. I probably would), and the large companies donating such things like XFS, JFS, SMP code, etc.. would not being donating stuff any more. Developement would slow, certainly.

That said, remember.. there's no way in hell SCO can win on any front. They're leading a doomed battle.

actually..I bet IBM and others could make SCO pay for every license they sold if worse came to worse..SCO would jack their prices, or give up. whatever.

and as far as them going to washington, I was thinking about how impossible to prove it drives our economy down would be to prove. look at IBM, Apple, Redhat, Novell, and others. All make money off of open source software, not all off of linux..but others *looks at apple*..creating competition for the biggest company in the world is /not/ destroying the economy, pigheads like SCO are. If they wanted to make money, they would get smart and competative..innovative.

ok, I work at a plastic bag factory, so ill explain how stuff like that helps..

there was two makers of the zippers you find on your bags in the united states for years. there was one in europe. none of the companies dared to go on the other's turf. one of the american companies got greedy and went to europe. can anybody guess what that european company did? came over to the united states and set up a zipper factory, kicked the other two companies ass price wise, and drove their prices down. and im not sure if it lowered the price of food, or if packaging companies made more money off of it..but at one point 30% of the price of the bag was in the zipper alone..did anybody really want to pay that much for a zipper?

i dont think so. but most people dont notice, hell im not even sure if im supposed to talk about this..or how much of it is accurate, but what im saying is, if nothing else, it will either A. drive the price of windows down, or B. make microsoft and/or SCO more inovative. windows is junk software, and they know it. it is lightyears behind the alternatives (linux, unix, osx, etc), and either it will catch up, or dissapear, at this point I hope it dies, just because I dont approve of the way microsoft does buisiness, and SCO is already doomed IMO