Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

?? Command basics for newbies??
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ?? Command basics for newbies??

?? Command basics for newbies??

:-\

Ok, this is going to make it painfully obvious how very little I really know about Linux, but for those few of us who are going at this from scratch, I request a bit of assistance in understanding Linux code/commands (if that's even the proper term).

Those of you "in the know" advise other users on how to fix problems, install software, check settings, etc. by using a terminal. Oftentimes there are long commands that have series of spaces that seem random to someone like me.

a) is there a good Linux command dictionary out there that doesn't presuppose that you know other Linux basics? Most of the ones I've been able to find don't mean diddly to me because I don't understand the codes or commands in the definitions of the code or command that I am trying to figure out? ???

b) Is there a "cheat sheet" out there that can provide a new user with, say... the top 20 commands/code/programs new users should know?

c) I often run into trouble when trying to follow a PET because I don't have the proper permissions to execute a command. Even when logged in as root. Should I log into the GUI as root?

d) What are the top, ohhh... let's say 5 programs/commands in a Linux Terminal.. That's probably a rediculous question... Feel free to slap me if it is.

E) When you list the code, and I copy and paste it into a terminal, it usually works, but I don't know what the hell I just did. It's like copying your girlfriends algerbra homework (although I have a strong suspicion most of you didn't need to copy your girlfriends algerbra homework) you get it done, but when it comes time to take test, you fail every time. In other words, where can I lear the basics of Algerbra a.k.a. Linux Command Line Code?

Gracias.

Adios mi Amigos.

-John

Re:?? Command basics for newbies??

I've been using Linux for about 4yrs now and still refer to this site:

http://www.oreillynet.com/linux/cmd/

;D

Seriously.....

You guys rock. I feel a bit like a moron for not finding these on my own, but hey, that' s what we're here for, right?

Thanks guys.

John

Linux Looser
    thanks....I needed this too.
    I felt the same way.

[quote author=Muddafarker link=board=2;threadid=8555;start=0#msg77326 date=1074813521]
    Linux Looser
    thanks....I needed this too.
    I felt the same way.
    [/quote]

My brutha. How long you been off Windows? Feeling withdrawl pains?

If we stick together, we can beat this thing...

Stay strong....

:-X

pains... or relief?

Once you know some of your basic command go to a computer store with a MAC and start typing in commands like crazy and watch the sales reps trying to figure out what your doing it's kinda funny to see there expression and even ask you to please lever the store (ok i'm easily amused) tho MAC store are good for free internet (atleast here they are).

I dunno why I posted this but hey thought it might give you somthing to do while waiting for your GF

My brutha. How long you been off Windows? Feeling withdrawl pains?

If we stick together, we can beat this thing...

Stay strong....
    Too bad we don't have a 12 step program for the people that are trying to kick the habit. We are all here for your support though.