Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Error installing packages under Fedora

Re:Error installing packages under Fedora

Derek,

The reason why it is not working is because, when doing rpm installations from the command line, you need to specify the location of the rpm you want to install (since Fedora is not magically endowed to know where it might be. )
    So, if I wanted to install an rpm that is on a cd, under the folder fedora, I'd do something like

rpm -ivh /mnt/cdrom/fedora/mydesiredrpm.rpm

(of course, I'd need to mount the cd first.)

I think the same applies to the graphical installation. If you want to install a specific rpm, you need to have the proper cd on the cd drive.

Let's hold up for a minute.. When i tried it without the command line and RPM's. It asked me for CD 2 and then i got the error. Right now in Windows XP. I have disc 2 in my drive and i'm looking at it. I went to the Fedora folder and then RPM's folder and i really don't see anything about Kernel Development and Development Tools.

I put disc 1 in my drive. I seen serveral of file which was called Kernel and Development but none was call Kernel Development or Development Tools. I was just looking so i can get the files and the commands right. Thanx.

Well, as I said, I do not use Fedora, so I'm just telling you what it might be.
    As far as I know, Fedora has 3 cd's, so you might want to check the third cd. Or the package might be named something different than what you think it is.

It's probably named something different because it's not on the third CD. I just looked.

Oh well. that is too bad.

When yo open the add/remove its under "Kernel development"

Nope i didn't see the name for it.

Ok install APT and download the kernel-source package or any other file dont use the add/remove that come with fedora it's C.R.A.P!!!!!!

You aren't going to find a package called Kernel Development Tools. That is just a catagory that describes a group of applications and sources used for kernel development.

I assume when the Redhat Package utility asked for CD 2, you put it in? I know Fedora Core Beta 2 has trouble with noticing that the CD really was there, but if it doesn't have that trouble, you might be better off installing that way. Another thing, you can look at the details of the installed apps from the utility to find out exactly what it's trying to install. From there you can manually install from a CD with:

rpm -ivh /mnd/cdrom/Redhat/RPMS/somerpmfile.i386.rpm

If that doesn't do any good for you, you can always use "yum" to install over an internet connection. Even then, you'll need to know the application name.

One last question, what are you wanting to accomplish from this? Are you wanting a compiler, kernel sources, or some specific librairies?

I have received the same message with the Add/Remove Applications option in fedora. This error happens no matter what I am installing. Is there a way to fix the problem?