Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why should we be thankful?

Mentor

Why should we be thankful?

Wow, you actually read through some of those articles? Too long winded for my taste. The few that I read didn't even bother to make a point, seemed more like literary pontificating really.
    jro - http://jeff.robbins.ws
    Linux counter#:213782
    GnuPG ID: 406238E7

Re: Why should we be thankful?

If those are real quotes on the front page, I agree with them. Well... Even if they're not real quotes, the sentiment still speaks volumes IMHO.

Not sure what this has to do with being thankful though. The government will do what it will; but I can still find things in my own life to be thankful for .

I had some other things to say, but I'll end here. This topic has me thinking though.
    Steve

Mentor

Wow, you actually read through some of those articles? Too long winded for my taste. The few that I read didn't even bother to make a point, seemed more like literary pontificating really.
    JRO, Yes I did read them, yes they do have a point. That point is often masked or hidden in satire, irony, sarcasm. Its a people thing, not quite like code writing. Ambiguity is very necessary.

I post things like this just to see how the ideas fall. Most of you are on the tech side of computing, I like the community, info side.

[/quote] but I can still find things in my own life to be thankful for[quote]

SNCT, that is right and that is important! It is also important to know what is not right, what you don't like and that there are others, sometimes many others that feel the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by Fatal Error";p="3940
    but I can still find things in my own life to be thankful for

SNCT, that is right and that is important! It is also important to know what is not right, what you don't like and that there are others, sometimes many others that feel the same way.

I don't get this last election though (or the main reason why people said they voted the way they did). It's got a Stepford Wife stink to it. There's so much more going on in the world than just moral decline... How is it that so many folks focused in on that?
    Steve

Mentor
    Yes

The more I read on this page the more it becomes apparent that its just were-all-going-to-hell-in-a-handbanket ranting. Amazingly enough, there are lots of problems in the world and not all of them are America's fault. The bottom line is human evilness (yes, I actually said evil) toward one another. Everyone is at fault, no one is blameless. These kind of sites frustrate me, because they miss the real issue and many people take them to heart as the absolute truth.

I am not trying to start a flame war here Fatal, please don't take this as a personal attack.
    jro - http://jeff.robbins.ws
    Linux counter#:213782
    GnuPG ID: 406238E7

Well... America is changing, and not necessarily for the better:

CNN Article

...a giant spending bill that would allow two committee chairmen to review individual tax returns...

And the House Reps sit back and say: Oh, we don't know how that got in there! :roll:

Give me a freakin' break. They expected it to just get passed and no one would know what the hell was going on until a private citizen got called on the carpet from a commitee member (Ummm... Can you say Homeland Security Act?! :evil: ) . This is my country, and I love it, but this kind of 'big brother' stuff burns my butt.

Are the world's problems America's fault? No. But just think about who pissed off "Old Europe" and you'll begin to see how isolated we're becoming. Coalition of the willing? Heh; the few smaller countries that we had with us are slowly moving away... So as to not get struck by the lightning bolt. We can't have our leaders struting around like a John Wayne character, telling other countries how it is; and expect them to just go along with it... And that goes for Iraq too. How is it that over half of those people are still fighting against our troops, if they wanted "freedom" as much as our leaders say they did?

Ok, I'll shut up now. No disrespect to anyone. No harm, no foul... Nothing to see here...

</soapbox>
    Steve

Mentor

JRO,
    I am not trying to start a flame war here Fatal, please don't take this as a personal attack.
    This is called 'conversation' I enjoy and respect your opinions. Evil is the problem, evil is escalating, exponentially.
    Not the biblical 'evil' but a real human loss of understanding our fellow man.

The old lab study of putting more and more rats in a confined space. When the rats reach critical-mass they freak out, eat each other and such. Those rats become very un-rat like. Earth can support X number of people and we must be getting close? Are we starting to become unhuman? For sure, inhuman.

Forgive me, I am still a Hippie. Us Hippies believe in PEACE and love and helping each other. I fought my war, I marched for other peoples freedom,
    I rallied to end war, I am broke because I spend too much time helping other.
    I am more at home in the Third-World than the First.

I am at a loss as to how to change anything. I post stuff like a fisherman chumming, just hoping to catch someone smart enough to find the (a) answer.

=====
    "Peace is not the product of terror or fear. Peace is not the silence of
    cemeteries. Peace is not the silent result of violent repression. Peace is the
    generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all. Peace is dynamism. Peace is generosity. It is right and it is duty."
    Oscar Romero

Advisor
    ok, I have to say something, because I'm obsessed with political discussion, but I will prelude with DONT TAKE ANYTHING I SAY AS A PERSONAL ASSAULT.

When I read sites like that it makes me sick to my stomach, I hear so much bitching and so little action. Don't like the patriot act? Good. Neither do I, but I bet you didn't email your congressman telling him to not support it. In fact, most people didn't even read it, and they just assumed it's 'good' or 'bad' depending on their political affiliation.

Now on to why I absolutely detest sites like that one, the person writing it has obviously spent a lot of time fact-finding and learning, but seems to fall into the massive category of everyone that _only_ educates themselves to back up their pre-existing opinions, he probably already knows who he will vote for (at least what party) in 4 years. I have no respect for fools like that and wish they wouldn't vote, they don't help our country, in fact they make it worse. I would go so far as to call the traitors. So if you consider yourself a democrat, or a republican, or a libertarian, or a <what the fuck ever>. Thats great, you can agree with the general principles, but if you've never voted for anything _but_ one party, and your > 90% sure what party you will vote for next time. Please commit suicide instead of voting.