Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: USB and Serial Port Problems + Dual Boot Question

Hybrid View

USB and Serial Port Problems + Dual Boot Question

I recently installed Redhat 8. I'm running GNOME on my Dell Inspiron 7500 Laptop. I am having pretty good success with most of the hardware, except I can't get my serial port or USP port to function. This is important, as I need to be able to use my perfs., i.e. printer, palm pilot, cd burner, etc. I am a newbie, but I want to trash Windows completely in the near future. Go easy on me...

Also, after installing Linux on a secondary partition, I wasn't able to boot windows XP, so I ran the windows boot disk. THen, Windows installed its boot info on top of GRUB (I think)... so I have to use the LInux boot disk any time I want boot up LInux. I have Boot Magic 8.0 (I think) but I haven't been able to figure where the problem is or what I have to do to get a boot option screen that will recognize both OSs, either through Windows or through Linux... any Ideas?

Thanks ahead to anyone that can help!

Peace,

John A

Re:USB and Serial Port Problems + Dual Boot Question

hello,
    1st please turn off PnP in the BIOS, that may help.
    for the palm piolet there are several apps used to access them, i don't have a palm myslef but i know they exist. for USB - this should be really easy redhat 8 - try running /etc/init.d/kudzo at the command line as user root - it should set it up for you.

for the bootloader have a looky at the example here:
    http://www.linuxjunior.org/cgi-bin/p...play&id=54

basically if you add teh chainloader part it should work, then you will need to run grub-install

pbharris,

Thanks, but I'm a bit confused. I tried running /etc/init.d/kudzo as the root user but is says "bash: /etc/init.d/kudzo: No such file or directory". Also, I went into the bios, but I don't see anything about PnP. I did turn off the parallel port.. I don't need it anyway.. but that's where I'm at so far...

Any other ideas?

I typed /etc/init.d/kudzo into a Teminal command line.. do I need to get out of GNOME? If so, how do I boot Linux into a command line? Again, sorry, I'm a real rookie at this... should I start somewhere else.. am I trying dive into Linux too fast?

-John A.

One other thing... does Linux support USB hubs? I have a Belkin 4-port hub, model F5U021. Will Linux recognize this? Do I need a driver?

Thanks,

John A

ah - my bad - mispelled it run this:
    /etc/init.d/kudzu start

and yes - that hub is great - i know from personal experiance

Good Guru

[quote author=Linux Looser link=board=3;threadid=8508;start=0#msg76977 date=1074377596]

Thanks ahead to anyone that can help!
    [/quote]

try grabbing a newer distro, like Red Hat 9 or Fedora Core. ITs got a newer kernel (better USB support, alot better) and Gnome/KDE get alot better as time goes on. Since it is over a year old now (aged in linux time), that may be your best bet.

Next do yourself a favor and make bootdisks for each os.

OK... A few things...

First, if you believe that getting a new Redhat Distrobution will impove my luck, than maybe I don't want to mess around in RH8 too much longer... so....

a) where is the bet place to get RH9 or am I going to have to purchase it?

b) can I update my current distro and save all my work and settings or will I have to start from scratch?

Also, I ran /etc/init.d/kudzu start and it gave me two [ok] s... but I don't know if it did anything. How can I test if it fixed my problem with the USB. I know my priter doesn't work... but I expect I'll have to do some work with that before it will...

Thanks for all your help....

-John

Hey you can get Fedora from fedora.redhat.com (very good distro) yea you can upgrade but its recommended that you just do a fresh install. What kind of printer do you have ???

Hi,

If you want to get any free linux distribution, just post on the Flea Market Forum. We have many people here willing to burn distros and ship them.

I have a brand news HP DeskJet 5150, but like I said, without the USB port working properly, it makes no difference what printer I have.

I will check out the Flea Market. THanks for the tip!

So, should I backup all my files, get a new distribution and start from there? Which distro do you think I will have the best luck. I basically need to use my computer for an office.. I need my printer, scanner, camera, cd burner and palm pilot to all function... Basically, I need my darn USB and Serial ports to work!

Any Ideas about what happened when I ran /etc/init.d/kudzu start and it gave me two [ok] s... how do I know if the USB is working?

Thanks to all for all of your help and patience.

-JA