Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: USB and Serial Port Problems + Dual Boot Question

Re:USB and Serial Port Problems + Dual Boot Question

Well, I'd say either Red Hat 9 or Fedora Core 1 (which is the free successor of Red Hat). Maybe Suse or Mandrake, but I have never used wither of them.

I can make you copies of either. If you want, PM me.

linuxloser
    i sen you a pm

Ok, here's the deal...

My USB port is working. My external CD Burner was recognized and I was able to mount a disc. The hardware browser also recognized my USB Hub and my printer, however I am still not able to get my printer working.

I downloaded the HP driver, and ran the makefile, but the Hardware Browser is recognizing my printer as a Desk Jet 5100, not a 5150, which it is.

So, basically I need help getting the driver to work properly... I read the documentation, but I get lost in a hurry. It seems like I need to install CUPS, but I don't know what that means or how to do it...

Thanks again to all for your help and patience.... I have applauded each of you who have helped me get through this...

Thanks again,

John :

Hi John,

you probably have cups installed already. It shouldn't matter that it is a bit off detecting your printer, because most HP's use the same driver (I have the same printer, and it works pretty good.)

You just need to start the cups daemon. Try, from a console typing
    Code:
     cupsd

[quote author=trickster link=board=3;threadid=8508;start=0#msg77045 date=1074458109]
    Hi John,

you probably have cups installed already. It shouldn't matter that it is a bit off detecting your printer, because most HP's use the same driver (I have the same printer, and it works pretty good.)

You just need to start the cups daemon. Try, from a console typing
    Code:
     cupsd
    [/quote]

No luck. Command not found. This is frustrating! I simple typed "cupsd" in the command line both as a regular user and as a super user. Same response both times.... Can you IM me?

I have not used red hat in a long time. Check on the menu to see if it has a tool for managing services. I'm pretty sure it does.

;D

SUCCESS!!!!

A) The classic rule of any OS: if all else fails... resart the computer

B) I went into the Printer Configuration tool and finagled the driver a bit. I didn't have my printer listed, but I used the driver listed for another HP model.. it seemed to work.

When I restarted Linux it detected my printer and configured it. It was still looking for my old printer.. a parallel connection... so I created a new Queue for the HP, selected a different driver.. and printed a test page.. IT WORKED...

Boy, you have to do a bit of work to get things goin, but it sure helps you learn how to use the system.

Thanks to all for all of your help.

I'll work on the Palm Problem on my own for a while. I have the printer and the CD burner working... so that's a big leap for one day.

Thanks again.

John

Good Guru

In UNIX like OS's, it is the work to make it work in the first place, not the upkeep like in MS based systems. Put simply once you get it up and going, there is rarely a need to do a single thing ... EVER. Just a security patch here and there.

And always remember this isnt windows.

Most linux fixes don't require a reboot, unless it's a kernel patch or something.