Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Don't try out Gimp 2.2 pre2 ... yet - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Don't try out Gimp 2.2 pre2 ... yet

I'll see what I can do. I've been using Photoshop for years. Maybe I'll try make something new in The Gimp.

And perhaps post an article.

Update: Here's another good gimp site: http://gug.sunsite.dk/

I know this is an old topic, but I just compiled and installed Gimp 2.2.1 and it works great! The new plugin windows are awesome, and there are a plethora or other enhancement, along with the new GTK+ file browser. I highly recommend checking it out. We might have a completely open source competitor for Photoshop here.
    jro -
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Linux counter#:213782
    GnuPG ID: 406238E7

Quote Originally Posted by jro";p="5259
    I know this is an old topic, but I just compiled and installed Gimp 2.2.1 and it works great! The new plugin windows are awesome, and there are a plethora or other enhancement, along with the new GTK+ file browser. I highly recommend checking it out. We might have a completely open source competitor for Photoshop here.
    Yup. I've been using precompiled OSX binaries (2.2.?) and it's been working great! I followed a couple of tutorials and my some "Ice Text" and a nice Lighting effect.

What I've found with most graphics programs is: You really need to get a feel for _how_ to create stuff. It's not so much the tools as the mind set. For instance, I have no real background in graphics, so I make mediocre stuff with a mediocre program. Someone with some knowledge of how to make cool images will be able to use that same program to turn out awsome stuff.

Either you take courses, it comes naturally, or you learn by experience.
    \"There are 10 types of people in the world; those that speak binary and those that don\'t.\"[img=left:e0a303efb3]http://pugio.spymac.net/deaddance.gif[/img:e0a303efb3]

Mentor
    or, you ask for help here.

Quote Originally Posted by Fatal Error";p="5283
    or, you ask for help here.
    Yes. But it's very difficult to impart that kind of knowledge in a forum. Help is more "How can I do this in gimp?", as opposed to teaching you proper image techniques.
    \"There are 10 types of people in the world; those that speak binary and those that don\'t.\"[img=left:e0a303efb3]http://pugio.spymac.net/deaddance.gif[/img:e0a303efb3]

Re: Don't try out Gimp 2.2 pre2 ... yet

In my opinion, it's a matter of learning the interface, like Pugio mentioned.
    After that, it's just a matter of looking at an image you want to create a similar effect to, and then play around. When you -know- where stuff is located in a program, you can play around MUCH more efficiently, and you'll see end results getting better and better. That's what makes it all so much fun.

btw, if you guys didn't know, inkscape is the best alternative to Adobe Illustrator, and it's getting a lot better by each version. I highly recommend it.

Most of the art you see at openclipart.org is made in Inkscape. It's even easy to learn.

Funny you should mention inkscape, I just found out about it about a week ago, its a great drawing program. I used to use Illustrator when I wanted to draw out my interfaces, now I don't have to. I tried SodiPodi, but I have found InkScape to be a bit better.
    jro -
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Linux counter#:213782
    GnuPG ID: 406238E7

Hmmm... thats cool....

I use
    Quote Originally Posted by postlogic";p="5317
    In my opinion, it's a matter of learning the interface, like Pugio mentioned.
    After that, it's just a matter of looking at an image you want to create a similar effect to, and then play around. When you -know- where stuff is located in a program, you can play around MUCH more efficiently, and you'll see end results getting better and better. That's what makes it all so much fun.

btw, if you guys didn't know, inkscape is the best alternative to Adobe Illustrator, and it's getting a lot better by each version. I highly recommend it.

Most of the art you see at openclipart.org is made in Inkscape. It's even easy to learn.
    I'll try it. So far my drawing apps of choices have been the Macromedia Studio MX ones. The program I use the most has to be Fireworks MX. It's just so easy to create cool images (vector or bitmap), and the interface is better than just a pure layers system (like the ones Photoshop and The GIMP use).