Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Don't try out Gimp 2.2 pre2 ... yet
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Don't try out Gimp 2.2 pre2 ... yet

Don't try out Gimp 2.2 pre2 ... yet

As the title says. Wait for the full 2.2 release. I installed it after going through dependency hell, updating everything GTK related as well as numerous other packages that Gimp 2.2 requires. As it turns out there is an acknowledged issue with the current release of GTK and the Gimp. Namely opening menu's is rediculously slow. The full 2.2 release is essentially waiting on the GTK team to fix the issue, so hold off on installing the pre release. Save yourself the headache I went through.
    jro -
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Linux counter#:213782
    GnuPG ID: 406238E7

Tanks for the heads up!!

Not that I even knew 2.2 was coming....

The Gimp has become a vital part of my day anymore. I keep a real close eye on it development. 2.0 is amazing. I was able to completely dump Photoshop. Sure somethings take a few more clicks to complete, but I am not paying $1000 everytime a new release comes out.
    jro -
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

So you did install it?

How's it like?

Yeah, I am running Gimp 2.0.6 right now and its amazing compared to the 1.3.x branch. I installed it from source, and got caught in dependency hell the first time since it required alot of rather new packages. (GTK,GDK,tiff,etc.). Everything has been revamped including the plugins and filters. It comes with a rather impressive array of prebuilt plugins too. The new GTk interface is s00per slick. I was only marginally impressed with the 1.3.x branch but the 2.x branch is nothing short of amazing. I could go on forever about the new brush plugins and API, revamped toolsets. I love it.
    jro -

Mentor

Re: Don't try out Gimp 2.2 pre2 ... yet

jro, Where do I DL a tutorial for Gimp? Are you going to do one?

Is GIMP as good as PhotoShop?

Photoshop make everything easier but you can essentially do everything on the Gimp that you can do in Photoshop. In Gimp 2.0 its even easier. Here is a link to some great tutorials. They cover alot of great techniques from beginner to advanced.

Now that you mention it just might have to type up some tutorials on some of the stuff I do in the Gimp. You can get really crazy with the quickmask. In my opinion it beats the pants off of anything Photoshop has, and I have used Photoshop for a long time. I highly recommend trying out Gimp 2.0. I can answer most questions that come up with it, or if you have any I-can-do-this-in-Photoshop-how-do-I-do-it-in-Gimp type questions.
    jro -

Mentor

Re: Don't try out Gimp 2.2 pre2 ... yet

Great Link, thnx żjro?

Hmm.. I miss some newer tutorials for Gimp 2, not to mention more innovative stuff you can do with it. For my part, the best way to learn something is by following a tutorial, and play later on.

All those tutorials on the link I posted are useable in Gimp 2. They formed alot of the foundation for everything I learned to do later on.
    jro -