Thread: Good IRC servers ?

Good Guru

Good IRC servers ?

Anyone running IRC servers? If so, any tips?

I'm looking to run an IRC node off of my domain such as irc.mydomain.net so that a few friends of mine have regular place to talk (since they can't connect to regular IRC servers and mine will be running off different port )?

TIA

Re:Good IRC servers ?

Open it up to others for fun ;-). I'd say just double check your configuration. As long as the right users with lockdowns exist it shouldn't be a problem.

As for the software, use what EFnet uses.

ircd hybrid 0.7 would probably be your best bet. Even supports IPv6, and easier conf files.

[quote author=Master Copy link=board=4;threadid=8471;start=0#msg76722 date=1074028863]
    ircd hybrid 0.7 would probably be your best bet. Even supports IPv6, and easier conf files.
    [/quote]

... or ircd-ratbox v1.1.2 ... a hybrid fork with bugfixes and added features. Both are Effnet strength ircd's.

http://www.ircd-hybrid.org/
    http://www.ircd-ratbox.org/

Good Guru

If my domain is hosting off of phpwebhosting and if I don't have root access to the main server ( since I rather not use my cable connection as it would sucks bad for my upload speed ), can I still run an IRC node as a regular user? Probably not since all lower ports need root access. :-\

I'm sure phpwebhosting would NOT like you, even if you could figure out a way to do it. Now, if you had a dedicated server with someone..

Actually you are looking at high level ports, and it's recommended not to use root to execute the server. Make PHPwebhosting hate you. ;D

Good Guru

Well, I compiled hybrid on my test server and I can't even get into the ircd-hybrid directory if I was not root.

Also, if the IRC server is rarely used ( for only 4 people ), would phpwebhosting notice that I'm running it? After all, yeah, it will be running off port 6667.

I've been using Unreal IRCd for some time now and it's working really well. It can be installed and run in user space instead of root, and the setup scripts are easy to follow. It's simple enough for small time use, but it's also powerful enough to handle thousands of users. Unitl I retired the machine a year ago, it was running on a 486/20 meg ram and still left plenty of resources to run mail and http on the same machine. That machine had been used for as IRC hub for a mid size network(12 other daemons) for a while.