Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Solaris 9 installation??
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Solaris 9 installation??

Solaris 9 installation??

Hi guys. I'm new to this forum. I was direct here by screamingelectron.org.

I'm downloading Solaris 9 x86. Does anyone have step by step instructions on how to partition and install and everything else i need to know with Solaris?? Please reply back. Thank You guys.

Good Guru

Re:Solaris 9 installation??

Hello!

A) Fixed the post thingie

B) Back when I got into Solaris, I had only one issue : getting the damn nic to work.

Where are you going astray? IIRC its similar to the BSD slicing system.

Solaris 9 x86 would not install for me. I think it went up a could of screens after i configure my mouse. I'm not sure was it going to install it the part i made it up to. As far as BSD. I only know how to slice the easiest BSD that would be FreeBSD 4.8 Release. I have OpenBSD but i could'nt get it to slice, partition and install. NetBSD that gave me error installing it. I never ever tryed picoBSD, EMBSD, ClosedBSD and so on. I never touch it. Can someone help me with Solaris installation?? Please reply back. Thanks.

Search google for "Solaris x86 install faq" - there are some decent faq's out there outlining such things as "What do I do when the install hangs/panics? "

You may also want to make sure your haredware is supported, go to Sun's website and search for "hardware compatibility list".

Be sure to read Sun's Solaris Installation Guide, also found on Sun's website.

You'll find a wealth of useful information on this internet if you are willing to search for it.

Good Guru

[quote author=frisco link=board=10;threadid=7251;start=0#66964 date=1056227415]
    You may also want to make sure your haredware is supported, go to Sun's website and search for "hardware compatibility list".
    [/quote]

Frisco, thats why you're "da man" ;D

Fuck I really should have thought of that ... :-[

That guide I used on Sun's site, was sacred. Simple, but told you flat out if the hardware worked or not. If it was not supported, it stated whether or not the third party had any sort of support on their side. That helped alot.

BTW, solaris 8 x86 ran like shit for me. Dont be suprised if its slow as snot for you as well.

As for BSD and partitions ..

Not much to it really. For the sinmple sake of being more complete, lets say you have a 100GB drive. You want to multiboot Windows 2000, RedHat, and OpenBSD. First off we need to decide how much goes where. Since windows can lick my ass, we will give it 10GB, and Linux and OpenBSD will each get 45GB.

To start out, we will allocate the 10GB to MS by using fdisk. Then we install Win2K. We now have a drive with 10GB of space claimed, and 90GB unclaimed.

Now we install OpenBSD. Slices work as follows : Its a chunk that BSD can see and use natively. We both know that it really helps to get down and dirty with the partitioning scheme, so it can be tailored to your situation. IE, the /var directory -- a server can easily fill that up if it is being attacked nonstop for some period of time. We dont want / to fill up, so making /var separate is a natural choice for any NIX server. Well, in slicing this up, we can set that aside for now and just allocate one giant 45BG slice. Slices get partitioned.

OpenBSD, FreeBSD, and NetBSD all do it the same way. The tools are different (I personally like the OpenBSD tools better, but to each his own).

Now we have a drive with 10+45GB claimed, and 45 unclaimed. With linux we do it as usual.

Just think this way :: A chunk == partition whereas a slice can be more thought of as slice == chunk of space to be partitioned later.

hopefully that helped ...

Kind Mastermind

Thanks, Schotty. I've been wandering about that whole slice thing recently (been actually thinking about Linux alternatives, though that probably won't happen for a while). Your explanation was excellent. Thanks.

[quote author=Schotty link=board=10;threadid=7251;start=0#67010 date=1056306716]
    Frisco, thats why you're "da man" ;D
    [/quote]

Thanks!

[quote author=Schotty link=board=10;threadid=7251;start=0#67010 date=1056306716]
    That guide I used on Sun's site, was sacred. Simple, but told you flat out if the hardware worked or not. If it was not supported, it stated whether or not the third party had any sort of support on their side. That helped alot.

BTW, solaris 8 x86 ran like shit for me. Dont be suprised if its slow as snot for you as well.
    [/quote]

Two things may have affected your performance: poor ide drivers and lots of processes running.
    I seem to recall that 8 had some inefficient ide drivers. I don't know if this was just an x86 thing. 9 should be a lot better in this regard.
    By default, Solaris runs a lot of things that you probably won't need. A google search for 'harden solaris' gets lots of howto's for what you might be able to turn off (i used to have a real good one, but can't find it anymore).

It's been my experience that Solaris has a tendency to run slow on hardware comparable to linux/*BSD, but then again i haven't installed linux/*BSD on an E5000 or v880 (high-end $80000-$300000 Sparc servers) and Solaris really likes lots of memory/processors. Solaris never really seems to run *fast*, but it never slows down too much either - it seems to handle multi-user much better than linux/*bsd. I have no benchmarks to back this up, though.

Good Guru

[quote author=frisco link=board=10;threadid=7251;start=0#67265 date=1056638683]
    Two things may have affected your performance: poor ide drivers and lots of processes running.
    I seem to recall that 8 had some inefficient ide drivers. I don't know if this was just an x86 thing. 9 should be a lot better in this regard.
    By default, Solaris runs a lot of things that you probably won't need. A google search for 'harden solaris' gets lots of howto's for what you might be able to turn off (i used to have a real good one, but can't find it anymore).
    [/quote]

I thought as much. Thanks though for clarifying.

[quote author=frisco link=board=10;threadid=7251;start=0#67265 date=1056638683]
    It's been my experience that Solaris has a tendency to run slow on hardware comparable to linux/*BSD, but then again i haven't installed linux/*BSD on an E5000 or v880 (high-end $80000-$300000 Sparc servers) and Solaris really likes lots of memory/processors. Solaris never really seems to run *fast*, but it never slows down too much either - it seems to handle multi-user much better than linux/*bsd. I have no benchmarks to back this up, though.
    [/quote]

hehe, with solaris being as truly stable as the zealots claim, why bother slapping linux on them ?? ;D

Good Guru

[quote author=stryder144 link=board=10;threadid=7251;start=0#67256 date=1056622031]
    Thanks, Schotty. I've been wandering about that whole slice thing recently (been actually thinking about Linux alternatives, though that probably won't happen for a while). Your explanation was excellent. Thanks.
    [/quote]

If you dont need wine, then give them a try. Especially if you need no connectivity to M$. Then OpenBSD comes into the realm of choices. If you just want a non linux M$ alt, then FreeBSD is the closest to what you have now.

BTW, to clarify the above statement, OpenBSD does not have yet a SMB client. Just a server. And the only wine worth it really is WineX, which can be only run on Linux and with some tinkering, FreeBSD.

Hey guys.. It's been a while since i replied to this topic. I still want to get Solaris running again. Trickster, I just sent u a PM. If u want u can reply here or someone else can help me with this. I was looking for a step by step installation guide. I have a 40GB hard drive. This is what i came accross in google: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...=Google+Search

I took a look at the first one on that link and it didn't really tell me much. Thanx guys.