Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: MOBO/Power Problem

Re:MOBO/Power Problem

Here is the email tech support sent back .... I'm not exactly sure if they mean "No it won't boot without a CPU Fan" or "No, you need a fan because it might do damage (which is neither here nor there about booting)"

Obviously, it would damage it if I ran the system for any length of time .

>This might be the problem. Will the system boot without a CPU fan >connected?
    >
    >I couldn't find any reference to that in the manual.

Dear Sir,

No the fan should be there when you are booting the sytem; else it might
    harm either processor or board.

Regards,
    Support Team

my main board has an option on the BIOS where if the fan is not on it will not post.

Thanks for the responses guys. I'm going to go out and just buy a run-of-the-mill cpu fan and give it a shot.

[quote author=Ashcrow link=board=3;threadid=8449;start=0#msg76607 date=1073752555]
    Thanks for the responses guys. I'm going to go out and just buy a run-of-the-mill cpu fan and give it a shot.
    [/quote]

Still no luck with the cpu fan installed. It boots for about 2 seconds and then shuts off.

I guess now I need to try to find out if the motherboard is doing this or the powersupply. Any ideas on how to figure that out?

not without at least one good power supply...

Good Guru

For a fact, the new Xeons and XP/64's NEED a hs/fan attatched. A 3.2Ghz Xeon will last for approx 10 minutes without the fan (but hs attatched, and low sysload -- like bios checks).

Ignoring that will fry your cpu. I got a job at a shop that builds 1u/2u racks all day and occasionally a workstation order flies thru, and hear me now and believe me [s]later[/s] now, as good as even Intel is with its heat issues, its still too much to run for any periodwithout the heat condoms we call heat sink/ fan combos.

[quote author=Slave Copy link=board=3;threadid=8449;start=0#msg76620 date=1073760961]
    Ignoring that will fry your cpu. I got a job at a shop that builds 1u/2u racks all day and occasionally a workstation order flies thru, and hear me now and believe me [s]later[/s] now, as good as even Intel is with its heat issues, its still too much to run for any periodwithout the heat condoms we call heat sink/ fan combos.
    [/quote]

I agree compleatly. I'm just trying to make sure the hardware is not messed up. I went a head and installed the cooling stuff as well to see if that made a diffrence but I still didn't get anywhere near a POST. I'm thinking something is bad, but I can't tell if it is the power supply (shutting down for some reason after a few seconds) or if it is the motherboard.

Heat condoms? LOL Thats a new one to me!

Do you have any other processors or power supply or ram on another system, that you could borrow and tr on this motherboard? That way you can rule out those parts.

Kind Mastermind

I think that the easiest thing to start with is the power supple. Go find yourself an old computer that uses the ATX power supply. Disconnect the power supply from the motherboard, attach your new power supply and plug it in. Power it on and see if it boots the old computer to at least the post routine. If it doesn't, you know that you have a bad power supply. If it does, well, you've got a lot of other components that you'll need to sort through.

Cheers

[quote author=trickster link=board=3;threadid=8449;start=0#msg76628 date=1073771648]
    Do you have any other processors or power supply or ram on another system, that you could borrow and tr on this motherboard? That way you can rule out those parts.
    [/quote]

I don't have any other processors I can swich out with it. The RAM checks out ok (and I don't think bad RAM stops POST does it?). I'm going to try the power supply on another box and then move down the part list ....

Thanks!