Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

*nix programs on OS X - HELP!

Thread: *nix programs on OS X - HELP!

*nix programs on OS X - HELP!

Hey guys, I've been trying to install of some of my favorite *nix-based apps on OS X. I'm having some problems though. I'll list each app below, as well as the errors i receive with them.

ARPing
    Once I compile, I can't "arping" anything. I get 100% packet loss. I'm not sure if this program is broken or what. Its supposed to work on OS X. Here are the compile messages for it. I don't believe they're giving me any warnings.

gcc `libnet-config --libs --defines --cflags` -o arping arping-2/arping.c -lnet -lpcap
    arping-2/arping.c: In function `do_libnet_init':
    arping-2/arping.c:113: warning: passing arg 2 of `libnet_init' discards qualifiers from pointer target type
    arping-2/arping.c: In function `main':
    arping-2/arping.c:905: warning: assignment discards qualifiers from pointer target type
    arping-2/arping.c:907: warning: assignment discards qualifiers from pointer target type
    If anyone can provide some insight as to why this program isn't working, I'd really apprecite it. BTW, I've got the OS X firewall (FreeBSD's IPFW) enabled, and I'm running Arping-2.02.

Ettercap
    Program seems to compile fine. I've got libpcap and libnet installed. The only problems I'm having are my plugins don't work! They fail to compile horribly! I've installed ettercap-0.6.b. Below are compile

/usr/local/lib/ettercap/ec_H99_dummy.so contains errors !
    All of the plugins have the exact same error. I'm not sure whats going on. I've tried looking this stuff up online, but no luck. :-(

ngrep
    Simple error. "attempt to drop privileges failed: Operation not permitted". I get that when doing "sudo ngrep" or "ngrep" as root.

If anyone can offer any kind of help or direction, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Re:*nix programs on OS X - HELP!

I'm afraid I can't see anything for ARPing, but it looks like ettercap and ngrep are available through fink.

ettercap (without ssl) - http://fink.sourceforge.net/pdb/package.php/ettercap
    ettercap (with ssl) - http://fink.sourceforge.net/pdb/pack...p/ettercap-ssl
    ngrep - http://fink.sourceforge.net/pdb/package.php/ngrep

edit: i'm sure you already know this but just in case ... Once fink is installed you merely sudo apt-get install <pkgname>.

Does fink work well? I was looking at that and Darwin Ports earlier, but I decided not to go with them because I couldn't get much feedback as to if the systems were stable. If it'll work though I'll grab it tonight. Thanks sean.

You're welcome prae

Regarding fink, well i've grabbed libvorbis, links and some other stuff and it was rather slick. I can imagine it becoming rather more useful on a faster connection (for grabbing large packages like X11 and such) although even on mine it was a neat change - i'd never used apt-get before.

It perhaps was a bit premature of me to assume the problems with ettercap and ngrep were related to how they were installed, but always worth a shot. besides you might quite like fink for some other stuff.

i found fink works fine but the packages ar eusually horribly out of date. i either compiule my own and troubleshoot or go without. the only precompile binaries i install come in .dmg format.

for soe reason i just do not like fink.

i couldnt get any programs working either with fink. openoffice seemed to have a hard time installing too. im hoping the ibook g4 gets supported soon with a new yellowdog release or something so im not stuck using os x, i need my linux back heh. speaking of yellowdog does anyone know if it will get built off of fedora now? or if they are something now that is much more independent of redhat. im trying to find out the development of it and such. i wish they had a forum/discussion board. im guessing the next release might not be until march if they follow the 6month release periods.

[quote author=burntash link=board=11;threadid=8447;start=0#msg77458 date=1075000230]
    i couldnt get any programs working either with fink. openoffice seemed to have a hard time installing too. im hoping the ibook g4 gets supported soon with a new yellowdog release or something so im not stuck using os x, i need my linux back heh. speaking of yellowdog does anyone know if it will get built off of fedora now? or if they are something now that is much more independent of redhat. im trying to find out the development of it and such. i wish they had a forum/discussion board. im guessing the next release might not be until march if they follow the 6month release periods.
    [/quote]

Fedora base. Fedora already has some of the changes Yellowdog has made fused in.