Thread: Viewing file over the network

Viewing file over the network

Ok I finally got SAMBA work ;D ;D ;D and I can view folders that are being shared with the files. I just cant see the ones not in the folder, like when you first open "My Computer" then "C" it's those little .doc and anime that I cannot view. becuse they are not in folders (not my PC, very unoranized) isnt there a way I can set it up so the "whole disk" is being shared???

i'm sorry if this is not clear. I would be will to talk about it more VIA IM or phone.

TIA
    Michael

Re:Viewing file over the network

Are you using Samba to share the folder,, or just to view a Windows share? If it is to view a Windows share, you need to share the whole C drive under Windows. Same way as sharing any folder.

If it's a windows xp/2k machine, you will need to individually share each users home directory.

[quote author=stuart link=board=4;threadid=8430;start=0#msg76439 date=1073442970]
    If it's a windows xp/2k machine, you will need to individually share each users home directory.
    [/quote]

aww that sucks and it's stupid tho in a way it's kinda good too. oh well atleast I was able to get samba to work and i'm able to print.

Also why is it ZoneAlarm won't let me access or print when it's enabled?? it set to the default "medium security" ??? ???

It is probably blocking the SMB port (139). Same thing happens at my home lan.

Good Guru

[quote author=The Great Mojo Jojo link=board=4;threadid=8430;start=0#msg76451 date=1073450337]
    Also why is it ZoneAlarm won't let me access or print when it's enabled?? it set to the default "medium security" ??? ???
    [/quote]
    Unless you are running the paid version of ZoneAlarm Pro, you can't specify port usage.

And if you have Linux firewall in front of Windows box (as a gateway/router), why do you need ZoneAlarm on Windows box?

humm ok. Do they sell boxed sets of ZoneAlarm ??? ??? cause I have not seen on yet a Future Shop or Staples.

No I don't have linux as a raouter/firewall because I already have a linksys router and it works fine but I have been thinking about it. But I don't know what OS I want to keep it's either Fedora or Xandros.

Michael,
    I hate to burst your bubble, but unless its a no shit actual router that you bought off of ebay what you are actually using is called a spoof box. Basically, it uses NAT to fool the network into thinking its a router. YOU NEED A REAL FIREWALL!!!!!!!! We had a guy on cable here at the office get hacked thru a linksys "router" that he paid 40$ for at Officemax and couldnt understand why.

10ded

Also why is it ZoneAlarm won't let me access or print when it's enabled??
    Install the UNIX printing packge, and have CUPS sent print jobs to that system on port 515.

Good Guru

[quote author=The Great Mojo Jojo link=board=4;threadid=8430;start=0#msg76513 date=1073555966]
    Do they sell boxed sets of ZoneAlarm ??? ???
    [/quote]
    Yes, they do but I don't know which shop carry them.

You do not need to buy boxed set. You can download the Pro version and pay for it.