Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CRT or LCD best for gaming?

CRT or LCD best for gaming?

I have only ever had CRT's, but my monitor is starting to die and I am thinking of replacing it with an LCD. But I have heard that LCD's are crap for gaming. I have heard that the low refresh rate of LCD's makes them poor for gaming. Anyone have any experience with this? Suggestions.

Just heard on slashdot about thin CRT's, this might solve my problem, in about 3 years. Link
    jro - http://jeff.robbins.ws
    Linux counter#:213782
    GnuPG ID: 406238E7

Associate
    My only experience has been that LCD's tend to struggle with rapidly moving images, leading to blurring which is HARD on the eyes.
    Lower priced LCD's don't seem to run above 1024x768.
    They are a lot more expensive per inch than CRT's.
    Personally I much prefer CRT's for all aspects of computing except carrying the damned things up and down stairs.
    IMO

Quote Originally Posted by salparadise";p="3805
    My only experience has been that LCD's tend to struggle with rapidly moving images, leading to blurring which is HARD on the eyes.
    Lower priced LCD's don't seem to run above 1024x768.
    They are a lot more expensive per inch than CRT's.
    Personally I much prefer CRT's for all aspects of computing except carrying the damned things up and down stairs.
    IMO
    Agreed. I'm doing CAD modeling on a LCD at work and I find I have to move and pan things around a little slower than on a CRT (because of the weird shadows that trail the moving objects). These things have expensive video cards in them though, so I don't know how that factors in. I find LCDs to have a much crisper text display and colors seem more vibrant at all but the widest viewing angles (where colors get strange, or wash out all together).

I'd suggest going to a store and checking it out for yourself. I find (from listening to other computer folks) living with either display is a very subjective thing (usually either love or hate). I move around too much to have a large CRT though, so the choice is a simple one for me .
    Steve

I am hoping the thin CRT's take off, picture of a CDT whith the form factor of an LCD. Can't beat it.

I am with sal on this one too, lugging those damn things around is a pain in the neck.

Re: CRT or LCD best for gaming?

The thin CRT article is interesting, but they don't mention the weight issue. CRTs have glass picture tubes, which is what causes them to be so heavy; so if they're looking at plastic picture tubes, then they'd have to consider clean optics. As far as know, polycarbonate plastic material has the clearest optics of any other plastic available, but the price of a polycarbonate picture tube is bound to be prohibitive :? I don't know... It's interesting though.
    Steve

I didn't even think about that, you are right. I re-read the article I linked to and it doesn't say anything about what they are made of. I suspect you are right about them having the glass picture tubes, since it said the prices would most likely drop quickly after they hit the market. Doesn't sound to me like any new expensive material was used, just old stuff used in a new way.

It all depends on the quality of the LCD or CRT. LCD's exhibit ghosting because of their relatively low rate of refreshing the screen. Make sure, if you are buying an LCD, that you buy one with a refresh of under 16ms, as this will make sure that you won't have that blurring or ghosting effect. Buy one with a 22ms rate, and all you'll be able to do is write emails! CRTs are still considered the best as gaming goes. But yet again, it all depends on the quality. Also, you don't have to worry about dead pixels or lit pixels with CRT. Have I mentioned that they are cheaper too...
    My Website: http://ttgale.com
    My Website Uptime: http://img.uptimeprj.com/holastickbo...dee9bae2e2.png
    My Server Specs: AMD Athlon X2 3800+, 2gb DDR2 RAM, 1.5TB HDD, Ubuntu 9.10
    My Gaming PC: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.93ghz, 4gb DDR2 RAM, 9800GTX+

Price is a big consideration for me. That is why I am leaning toward a CRT, but I really love the small form factor and crisp display of an LCD.
    Anyone have any specific models they might recommend?

Mentor

Recomendations?

I sure wish I knew. Back in the old days the lan-parties on Tech TV used some good looking LCD monitors. These were some serious gamers so it must be possible.
    On www.pricewatch.com they list some with 12ms responce time.
    When you get a winner, let me know, then I will flex my plastic.

[url=https://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=233004]This[/i] is what i just bought. It list a response time of 16ms and i haven't gottne a chance to use it for games or much of anything yet, but the price is good for a 17" and the picture quality is much better than I'd anticipated.