Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

X2 Versus GNOME

Thread: X2 Versus GNOME

X2 Versus GNOME

Anyone have a reason to use one over the other (besides support for companies in X2?). Just wondering. Ximian GNOME always looks so polished and pretty.

Re:X2 Versus GNOME

You're right...XD2 is polished and tends to work pretty damn well. It's tight and an all-around good desktop. The only catch is that you're completely confined to XD2. Ximian has their own modified libs for just about every Gnome library, so you can't mix Gnome libs and Ximian libs. You have to wait until Ximian has released their version to upgrade. For example, when Gnome 2.4 came out, I couldn't upgrade because I was using XD2 at the time, and they hadn't started rolling out packages based on 2.4 at the time. I was stuck using a beautifully polished desktop that was based on 2.2 and didn't have a lot of the cool stuff 2.4 did.

Basically, if you're going for a corporate desktop or an environment where you don't need to upgrade a whole lot, XD2 is a pretty good way to go. But if you're looking to stay on the bleeding edge and test out the latest and greatest gnome has to offer, don't go near XD2...stick with a stock gnome install.

Theres always XD-unstable if your platform is supported.

[quote author=Lovechild link=board=6;threadid=8390;start=0#msg76131 date=1072956030]
    [/quote]

That's true, but from my experience when they say unstable, they MEAN unstable. I've tried it twice and both times it rendered my system completely useless.

[quote author=Tyr_7BE link=board=6;threadid=8390;start=0#msg76175 date=1073037953]
    [quote author=Lovechild link=board=6;threadid=8390;start=0#msg76131 date=1072956030]
    [/quote]

That's true, but from my experience when they say unstable, they MEAN unstable. I've tried it twice and both times it rendered my system completely useless.
    [/quote]

Aside gstreamer applications not working, I have had no problems with it so far.